Ain't it the truth!

Old 11-29-2013, 01:23 PM

A quiet Friday at home for me and the DH today--neither of us is up to the chaos everyone says BF is; just imagining it is enough to keep the two of us home eating leftover turkey and dressing (I made him a sweet potato pie because all of the pumpkin pie was eaten yesterday, and he insisted he prefers sweet potato anyhow). We would have made the trip down to Chattanooga for the FW in someone's post yesterday; but someone had already jumped on it. Oh well, maybe next time......
Old 11-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Amen! I bypassed that entire crazy ordeal
Old 11-29-2013, 02:24 PM

My daughter is selling at CANTON'S First Monday event. She has set up her shop there for several months now. I just hope she stays warm this weekend in her pop up tent and sleeping bag.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM

These stores announced they would NOT open on Thanksgiving. If you go to any of them tell the manager you are pleased that they cared so much for their employees. My dh worked in a restaurant for 24 years and we had to wait until he got home for our Thanksgiving dinner. He was exhausted from being nice to customers when he wanted to be home with family. Some years he also worked Christmas. Awful! So glad he is retired now.
ACE Hardware
BJ's Wholesale
Burlington Coat Factory
Costco
Dillards
Home Depot
Neiman Marcus
TJ Maxx
Marshalls
Trader Joes
Old 11-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I remember the stores being closed on Sunday and closed at 5 pm during the week. That was so hard for many people. I didn't believe in the Blue Law as it was called, all that law did was contribute frustration to people's lives whose jobs didn't have the store hours. Good ridience to that era.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 AM

You said it well, yngldy!! Stores used to be closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. There was one pharmacy in town that would stay open for emergencies, and that was done on a rotating basis, so everyone was able to have the memories made on those days. Now the memories seem to be of angry crowds. Or maybe that's just on TV. I stay home on holidays and mass shopping days. Guess I'm an anachronism!
Thanks, Lynne, for the info on the closed stores. I frequent several of them and will add the comment when I go in to shop.

Last edited by coopah; 11-30-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 11-30-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
BLACK FRIDAY:

Because only in America, people trample others for sales exactly one day after being thankful for what they already have!

Stay safe everyone!!
Sorry to say. but the Black Friday idea has arrived here in the U.K. Saw on the news here that some people were injured, bargains can be had throughout the year, this sort of grab and smash brings out the worse in people .Some imported ideas are better left I think.We get some lovely ideas from your country but this I think is a no-no. Love Letty
Old 11-30-2013, 11:43 AM

We stay home and where we are warm and happy. We send gift cards to the kids and one of those large flat mailing boxes full of small things for their stockings. The quilts I made will be sent out after Christmas when shipping rates go back to semi normal.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Letty View Post
Sorry to say. but the Black Friday idea has arrived here in the U.K. Saw on the news here that some people were injured, bargains can be had throughout the year, this sort of grab and smash brings out the worse in people .Some imported ideas are better left I think.We get some lovely ideas from your country but this I think is a no-no. Love Letty
I quite agree. As far as I know, this is the first time here in UK. It was ASDA that has started it, and yes they re a part of WALMART.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I agree. I have never shopped on Black Friday and never will. I do my shopping mostly online now and I LOVE it. Comes right to my door!
Ain't it the truth-online shopping is best. No gas, no wear on car or me!!