Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 AM

sewmany, thanks
I think you don't need the book when you have the download and when you're a member of the Yahoo group you can download all the PDF files.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:58 AM

I been trying to join the Yahoo group. When it ask toenter the code and then click the request, it doesn't do anything. I wonder if I am doing something wrong.? !! ? totally confused. I contacted Carol Doak in her website. but pretty much just giving up trying to join.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:12 AM

Beautiful blocks Anael, just a little head start on the rest of us
Old 12-01-2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
I have the book, foundation disk, fabric, and ready to go, Carrie! (Or is the foundation disk Dear Jane? I can get confused easy.
Last Spring I purchased five paper piecing books on eBay for $16 and the 50 Star book does contain a CD, which features Carol Doak demonstrating her paper-piecing technique. I had planned to work on paper-piecing and applique this year, but was rather sidetracked. So I guess both are on the agenda for 2014. I am sure I will not be able to keep up, but will give it a shot.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:49 AM

I can't remember who was asking about yardage, but I was wrong...I can't find a recommended yardage in the book.(I am making Dear Jane in 2014 too, and it's listed in that). Maybe I found some recommendations on the 50 stars thread on this board from 2013....I was thinking someone who used the same backing fabric said she used approx 7 yards. I'll check some pages and see if I can find it.

Thanks for the compliments on my fabrics. I saw them and had to have them. Mirabelle, I too am a big fan of butterflies. I know they will get cut up in this quilt, but there is a nice border fabric with some smaller butterflies I will use to finish it.

Anael--pretty stars...both in the fabric and finished "states".

If I counted right we are up to about 25 so far planning to start in January. YAY!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:00 AM

I'm in, and I would also like to know how to join the Yahoo group. I'm not sure i'll be able to do to many at first but I will keep plugging along. After January it should be a little easier for me to sew more.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 AM

Is anyone else thinking of making this a quilt as you go thing? Since there are 50 blocks, I am considering at the end just sewing the quilted stars together with a binding and voila, a quilt. A big quilt.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Toverly, I'm probably going to do mine QAYG; I'll do it in rows, join the rows then add the backing all in one piece. I think this is called a "false backing" and is frowned upon in quilt shows. Mine will never end up in a show and this is the only way I finish projects. It's too daunting for me to look at a finished quilt top and think OMG now I have to quilt it! I did the Farmers Wife and Pony Club quilts this way and no one has ever noticed.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:11 AM

janRN, that's a wonderful idea! Do you quilt the blocks with a muslin back or just the batting? I like that idea, it sure beats making the back borders too. Thanks for the idea, I may have to try that.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Is anyone else thinking of making this a quilt as you go thing? Since there are 50 blocks, I am considering at the end just sewing the quilted stars together with a binding and voila, a quilt. A big quilt.
I've never done a QAYG can you give us some tips or links to how it is done?