Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine >

Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine

Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine

Old 12-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Agree with mlmack. I just bought a 15-91 and it sews through denim like it's silk. Need not worry about what it can handle. But honestly, so many older, all-metal machines will do that. I just happen to also like the look of the 15-91. Look on Craigslist and when you see something you like, check for a youtube video of someone demo'ing it. I've learned a lot that way.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM

Also take a look at the White brand. They look like they could sew through logs!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:45 PM

The great part about the Singer machines is that there were tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands made, and they were all the same, so in the unlikely event that you need to repair/replace something, parts are pretty much readily available.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:51 PM

Also take a look at the White brand. They look like they could sew through logs!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:32 PM

I'm sure things have changed, but the problem with TX when I was stationed there, (decades ago) was that it was 300 miles from anywhere to anywhere else!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:44 PM

SumikoKeel, have you tried a walking foot with your multiple layers? And I assume you know you want to use the appropriate needle for denim? When working with flannels, I remove throat plate and clean that area and bobbin case area very frequently, like every other bobbin change because flannel is so linty. Not trying to talk you out of an older machine, just throwing out these coping mechanisms til you find the right one for the right price.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 AM

I did not try a walking foot, I cleaned my her and I bought a little vacuum attachment and brushes which I use all the time " I pamper her". I love my little Janome but, she seems fragile. I usually free motion quilt.. I remove all the little bits and throughly clean her after each bobbin change. She just seems frail..
maybe I'm just treating her gingerly, and being a little motherly to her.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:41 AM

We live in Carthage TX. A few hundred miles from Dallas and about a spit from Longview. I have not done all the second hand shops in Longview yet. Pickins there are slim from what I have seen though . I shall keep me eyes peeled :P I'm going to look for a singer...I just need to feel I'm not going to break my Janome...and yet have a little work horse. I don't need fancy stitching. I need solid and stable stitching. I don't know... did you ever feel like a bull in a china shop when you get something new and you just dun wanna break it? That is how I feel about my Janome. And I do like the thickness of denim and multi layers - I quilt for my family in Canada... those quilts are functional "thick" not decorative so much as for warmth and wear and tear (pets all over them too).

I really appreciate you all so much.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
The great part about the Singer machines is that there were tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands made, and they were all the same, so in the unlikely event that you need to repair/replace something, parts are pretty much readily available.
I'm off to shop for one as soon as I can. I suspect EBAY is my best bet ...MARK, THANK YOU.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 AM

Zoozee, I'm not familiar with WHITE? Something to research.. (Love researching things on this end). Thanks a million..