Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine >

Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine

Kenmore model 1802 sewing machine

Old 12-02-2013, 03:46 AM

I take it a 15-91 is the most common model? And has a nice throat? ( HAPPIER CAMPER ME)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

I have spent hours working on some of those Kenmore machines. Money should never come up on here. Anybody can say anything this is the internet... Can you buy a new one that will be as good for that money? Has it been serviced? You will for sure need a manual for that machine. I have a similar one - so not intuitive. Once you get them to work they are good solid machines.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have spent hours working on some of those Kenmore machines. Money should never come up on here. Anybody can say anything this is the internet... Can you buy a new one that will be as good for that money? Has it been serviced? You will for sure need a manual for that machine. I have a similar one - so not intuitive. Once you get them to work they are good solid machines.
From what I understand there is no manual - she has no idea if it has been serviced. I essentially don't know what I will be buying. Since I was not sure of the brand - I was not sure if the trip plus purchase was advantageous for me. I think ( just looked up) Kenmore used to be Janome? At one point in time so I suspect they are workhorses too...
Old 12-02-2013, 06:10 AM

Hello,
www.Searchtempest.com is a site that allows you to search Craigslist on a wide area.
I used your general zip code and a 100 mile radius search to find these results.
Hope it helps!

http://www.searchtempest.com/results...min&maxAsk=max
Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 AM

1 advantage to some Kenmores, and some other models, is that the motors are rated for 1 to 1.2 amps= more power through heavy fabrics. Singer 15-91 & 201-2 motors are rated lower, but maybe their figure is more honest. It is usually cheaper and easier to replace a belt drive external mounted motor. IMHO
Old 12-02-2013, 08:11 AM

SumikoKeel,

As the owner and user of several Kenmore 158- series of machines I will say this. They are excellent machines and will do what you need done. They are not user intuitive however and you do need the manual to get the best out of the machine. If you follow the instructions to the letter you'll get a great stitch no matter which one you're trying to do. If you don't follow the instructions ...... well I shudder at the thought.

If you are looking for a Singer machine to do straight stitch quilting or multi layer stitching I'd suggest the 66-16 or the 201-2.
They both have bigger arches than a 15 giving you more work room.
The 15s are said to be better at FMQ, but I can't say this from experience. As I don't FMQ at this time.
None of these is fragile at all.

The only thing about the potted motor machines ( 15-91 or 201-2 is they are not as easy to work on as an external motor machine. They have their benefits too, no belts, direct gear drive and no slippage is one of them. The motor not protruding into the arch space is another.

The Kenmore in your original post is over priced without the manual. Considering the driving distance I'd pass on it.

Are you looking for a cabinet machine or a portable?

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 12-02-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:12 PM

White # 1411 Not sure if a White 1411 is considered vintage, I've never seen one. I'm trying to help a low income family with their sewing needs. I'm looking for an owners manual to the machine so I can trouble shoot what is wrong with it. Went on the web, all the sites that say "free download' have a whole bunch of 'strings' attached including a credit card number.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by libber View Post
White # 1411 Not sure if a White 1411 is considered vintage, I've never seen one. I'm trying to help a low income family with their sewing needs. I'm looking for an owners manual to the machine so I can trouble shoot what is wrong with it. Went on the web, all the sites that say "free download' have a whole bunch of 'strings' attached including a credit card number.
Here ya go. No strings attached.
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...te-1411-x-.pdf
Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM

SumikoKeel, the Kenmore machines are made by Janome. One of my first machines was a Kenmore, which was a little workhorse for me. Then I became the owner of a New Home (Janome) Memory Craft 6000 and put her through the paces for over 20 years (still have her and pull her out occasionally, especially for the alphabet stitches). I also have a Pfaff Expressions machine, which is good, but shortly after I purchased her, the dealer quit her business and moved...and now I'm up a creek as to where to take the Pfaff for servicing!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47 View Post
SumikoKeel, the Kenmore machines are made by Janome. One of my first machines was a Kenmore, which was a little workhorse for me. Then I became the owner of a New Home (Janome) Memory Craft 6000 and put her through the paces for over 20 years (still have her and pull her out occasionally, especially for the alphabet stitches). I also have a Pfaff Expressions machine, which is good, but shortly after I purchased her, the dealer quit her business and moved...and now I'm up a creek as to where to take the Pfaff for servicing!
The Kenmore machines that have the 158 prefix model numbers, like the one in the OP, were made by Jaguar/Maruzen. The ones made by Janome have the 385 prefix model numbers.