Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use EQ7? >

How do you use EQ7?

How do you use EQ7?

Old 12-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Another satisfied EQ user here. I often see a block or a full sized quilt that I like and downsize and make different layouts with smaller pieces for my miniature work. This little quilt utilizes 1 1/2" blocks. Here's the EQ version and my finished product.[ATTACH=CONFIG]449447[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]449446[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	449446   Click image for larger version

Name:	HIBD 1.5.BMP
Views:	295
Size:	780.4 KB
ID:	449447  
Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 AM

I'm sorry to disappoint anyone. . .I think it's the thought that I would not use it that drove the return. I make simple pieced quilts with the most basic quilting. I think I made the right decision, but I so appreciate all the advice and photos from you guys.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Well Lee, you never know, you may wear out QuiltPro and decide to upgrade! EQ is not for everyone, it has a pretty steep learning curve and can be more complex than a lot of users need. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Quilt Pro, I hope it works well for your needs.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:33 PM

I am at a point in my life right now where 1) income has dropped precipitously and 2), and my health has begun to give way. I am just trying to keep creating within my own parameters. I have so much fabric, so many things I have not tried... I will leave the really creative stuff to people who can awe me, and there are many of you on here!
Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

beautiful quilts
Old 12-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I don't have EQ7...I have an earlier version. Is it worth the price DH paid for it at the time for the amount I use it? Probably not. That said, I have used it for various quilts and it has helped when I've seen a quilt I liked to be able to make up a pattern; calculate yardage; etc. I don't think the version I have (I think it's 5) is particularly intuitive either but it is a very powerful program. I've not used other quilting software so can't make any comparisons/judgements there either. And since I don't use what I have to it's potential, I've seen no need to upgrade either. Just another point of view.
I have Electric Quilt version 5 (had version 3 & 4) and I use it almost every day. You can take any pattern and change the size of the blocks or add more blocks to make a larger quilt. I am right now doing mug rugs choosing blocks from Marsha McCloskey's BLOCK PARTY. The size of the blocks are 9" so I needed to convert them to 6". Some I have pieced using paper piecing pattern which is automatically ready for me by selecting that print option. Others are simple so I just select the rotary instructions. I tried Quilt pro in the mid 90s and was not impressed. I finally got the extra downloadable fabric (off of EQ website) to work. The technical support was great. Only thing I can't do are complex Bargello designs.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 PM

You have to decide if you will use it otherwise you are wasting $$$...I have it and don't use it enough but I am learning something new with it every time I use it..
Old 12-01-2013, 06:30 PM

I have EQ7 and have played around with it some, even made a couple blocks using it. It's on my to do list for this winter, learn more and use more. I have a friend who is quite good at it and loves to use it, so she inspires me.
I like it, had to have it, don't really use it, but might and might love it?? LOL
Would I buy it now? Probably not......
Old 12-02-2013, 12:07 PM

If you like scrappy quilts and aren't into designing, I'd return the EQ7 and get some nice fabric.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:47 PM

I agree that EQ7 is not as intuitive as it could be. I too have a system development background, and I think EQ7 is difficult for me to navigate. It takes time and determination to use it. I now use it to design labels that I print out, and have lots of fun with it. I also use it for a monthly block exchange. You have to make the decision about the expense, but if you have the time, EQ7 is a good design tool.

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
EQ7 is not as intuitive as it could be and, even with the tutorials, is difficult to navigate because of that. Note that I wrote requirements for ordering and billing software, and wrote the user manuals for that same software, so I recognize 'intuitive' when I see it...and I don't see it in EQ7.

After all that, it is a useful tool. My granddaughter wants a snake quilt. I searched high and low for a pattern that wasn't too childish, and had zero luck. Finally, I took a block I found on EQ7, started playing with it, and suddenly, there was the quilt I was dreaming of making her! It's in progress now, and I aim to have it finished for Christmas!

So I have mixed feelings on EQ7, but overall am glad that I have it. However, if you are not computer literate or are intimidated with using a computer, it may not be the right tool for you.