Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Displaying Your vintage machines. >

Displaying Your vintage machines.

Displaying Your vintage machines.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:36 PM

Default Willcox & Gibbs Type 11 High Speed Lockstitch

One of the problems of displaying cabinet machines is that the machine heads don’t show. I’m more interested in the machines than the cabinets. And too, the fold-out leaves have a tendency to cause problems trying to leave them open with the machine up. We don’t even have room at our house to open the cabinets to use them, much less leave them open for display.

Then there’s the dusting that has to be done if you don’t have some kind of clear cover over them. I’d like to display this machine, but it remains folded up.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine194_01.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	448816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine194_06.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	448817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine194_07.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	448818  
Old 11-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
One of the problems of displaying cabinet machines is that the machine heads don’t show. I’m more interested in the machines than the cabinets. And too, the fold-out leaves have a tendency to cause problems trying to leave them open with the machine up. We don’t even have room at our house to open the cabinets to use them, much less leave them open for display.

Then there’s the dusting that has to be done if you don’t have some kind of clear cover over them. I’d like to display this machine, but it remains folded up.

CD in Oklahoma
wow. it's a beauty. original paint ? darn, the motor is even bigger than the machine.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
....original paint ?
...as far as I know.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 AM

I have a Bay Window in the living room. There are 8 of my vintage machines displayed there. These are the machines made in Japan in the 1950's and are all in colors. Very pretty and colorful also.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
wow. it's a beauty. original paint ? darn, the motor is even bigger than the machine.
That is an industrial W&G machine. It was VERY popular. I doubt it was originally in that case. I have pics of "sweatshops" with rows of these.\

NOTE: you could just unscrew the lid and display it up that way.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 AM

Jane, could you post a photo? I would so love to see that!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
That is an industrial W&G machine. It was VERY popular. I doubt it was originally in that case. I have pics of "sweatshops" with rows of these.
Take another look at it Steve. I believe that you’re thinking of the W&G Type 10 or the Type 10A (Automatic Oiling) High Speed Lockstitch Machine. I doubt if this one would last long under sweatshop conditions. It has a bobbin winder mounted where an oiler would be on the 10A, and a double-pin spool holder on the rear that the 10 or 10A wouldn’t need. This machine was designed for self-contained occasional use or artisan use, not for continuous factory use, and I’m pretty sure that it’s in the original cabinet.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Are there other domestics with a clutch motor like that? (Looks like a clutch motor to me)
It sure is pretty!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
One of the problems of displaying cabinet machines is that the machine heads don’t show. I’m more interested in the machines than the cabinets.

CD in Oklahoma

CD, That's a nice looking machine, reminds me of a '30's Indy car or a post war "Hot Rod". Big motor, nice details, nice paint and lettering!