Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone? >

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Quilt retreats I have gone to (not many) strangers end up being friends by the time you leave the retreat. Most quilters are very friendly in my opinion.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM

You're not weird at all. By all means GO. You said it yourself - the ONLY thing you'll have in common with the others is quilting (which may or may not be true). Well quilting is the purpose of the retreat and that common ground will open up conversations in which you'll take part, maybe slowly at first, but after a little time you (and maybe other first-timers) will all be part of the group. The hardest part is to take a deep breath and walk thru the door, after that you'll be fine. Let yourself enjoy the experience and you will. Years ago in the middle of a bad romance I decided "I'll show him, I'm going to Europe". As I was on my way to London I thought what on earth am I doing. But I took that deep breath.....turned out to be a wonderful trip, something I'd never have thought I could do. You may surprise yourself. Plus the practical side - you'll be getting a lot of new quilting ideas and instructions.

If you go, please write and tell us all about it. You have a big cheering section here.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 AM

Sewnoma, your youth will probably be an asset. I've noticed that older generation quilters tend to be enthusiastic when they meet a younger person who has taken up quilting. It's okay to be shy. That is always better than forcing yourself to be the life of the party. It helps to smile often and make eye contact with people so you seem approachable. I'm shy when I don't know people too. I wrote that about smiling often because my kids tell me that when I am not actively engaged with another person that my "resting face" is sort of morose. I had no idea till they told me. I saw a funny picture on Pinterest about this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/257831147390866803/

PS - you got a treasure chest full of wonderful advice and encouragement!

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 12-04-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 AM

I'm thinking about going to a Quilt of Valor weekend retreat alone. I've done workshops and classes alone and always enjoyed them. This one is shared rooms, though, and since I'm not a good sleeper I'm considering staying at a hotel instead of the retreat center.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 AM

Years ago I signed up to go to Paducah Quilt Show on a tour bus. Thats how I met one of the best friends I ever had. She saw me sitting at this big table by myself eating lunch, invited me to her table, where she sat with a couple of other friends, and that was it. We were friends for years and did everything together, we even traveled to Keepsake Quilting once, just the 2 of us. Quilters are friendly people, they will welcome you with open arms Im sure. Who knows... maybe you will meet your Best Friend!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I have been shy most of my life. My DH has stated that he never knew I was so shy. But if you're going to get anywhere or learn anything, you have got to introduce yourself and ask questions. When you go to the retreats ask if there are any others who are going from your area. Let everyone on the QB know what retreat you've signed up for and ask if any of them are going also. You may be surprised to see who's going. Then see if you can arrange a meeting place. Just have fun.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I understand your feelings. I'm the older generation but I have no husband children or grandchildren and I agree you sometimes have to chill out while the others chat and glow.
My only conversation with groups at quilt retreats is quilting but that is what I go for. So no worries. Go along listen and enjoy. One thing is quilters do notice and pull others in.
I agree with Dottymo. Couldn't have said it any better !!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I am certainly no spring chicken, I think you would be surprised that most quilters are very friendly and just a great bunch. I would love to go to a retreat even along I am sure it would be great fun, and I am very shy!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 AM

Like you I am pretty shy, but I'm a loner by choice because of being burned several times by supposed "friends". I went to a two day class by myself and didn't know a soul. I stayed in the local motel and it was so relaxing. I got tons done and really enjoyed myself. The gal who sat next to me at the class was friendly and invited me to join her for lunch both days. We really hit it off and both of us enjoyed ourselves.

I went to our guild retreat last year and had a terrible time. I knew everyone, it was very cliquey. I seriously considered just leaving, but knew I had to see those people again, so I didn't. I will never go again.

Bottom line I would sign up for one and see what you think. Go and be friendly. Maybe pick someone who looks like a welcoming person to sit by. If the situation is too uncomfortable move places, work on your own projects or leave early. I've made myself learn to be comfortable being with me, so I would take a chance.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Boy can I relate to the poor sleeper. Me too. I would want my own space too. I have a health issue and sometimes just need to get away to myself too.

Originally Posted by Cat18 View Post
I'm thinking about going to a Quilt of Valor weekend retreat alone. I've done workshops and classes alone and always enjoyed them. This one is shared rooms, though, and since I'm not a good sleeper I'm considering staying at a hotel instead of the retreat center.