Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you square your blocks. >

Do you square your blocks.

Do you square your blocks.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Yes, I do and if you do, your quilt will look so much better and go together really well. I can't imagine trying to fit a block that is 7 5/8" to a block that is 8".
Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Geri: I am currently making the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. It has a zillion triangle within a square pieces. I put my ruler at the top where the point is, trimming enough to even the edge without cutting off the 1/4 inch. It really does depend on the shape you are piecing but if you start your squaring off at the point side you can always allow for that seam allowance.
I'm doing the Bonnie mystery quilt too. How do you keep the small side triangle ruler from slipping? I'm having a heck of a time keeping it still. Even put tape on back & I still get slipping. Aghhhhhhh!!! Cutting is NOT my thing. I just like to sew blocks. Unfortunately you have to do one without the other unless you buy precuts and that doesn't work on a 'mystery'. BTW I've never made a quilt using triangles before. I'm really out of my comfort zone. I did check my blocks and only had to square up 4 - rest were spot on. Now - how did that happen?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I have a 12 1/2" square ruler that works for most of my quilt blocks. As I make each portion of the block, I make sure it is square, then use the larger square ruler to make sure my block is true. It saves a lot of headaches down the road for a little extra effort, so I'm happy with the results.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 AM

I square each section to, it sames a lot of time at the end.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 AM

This thread has been interesting to me. I am self taught and sometimes come up with my own ways of doing things. All of my seams line up in my quilts even though I don't square me blocks. Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? However I do have a few where the points aren't perfect. That seems to get better with each quilt I do. If they aren't too bad I put them on the sides of the quilt so they aren't really displayed if the quilt is on a bed. I guess I look for the most perfect ways to make do with imperfect.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by carslo View Post
Once I started to I was amazed at how nicely everything would go together at the end
Since I started doing so, my quilts have much less wonky spots to hide...lol.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:38 PM

When you are doing a quilt you should square up as you go because if you wait until your done it is exhausting and feels like the end will never come.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Yes, I want the blocks the correct size so that the quilt goes together nicely. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at sewing triangle pieces (think 6" Birds In The Air Blocks) so I usually do paper piecing when I have lots of points to match.

When I made a Bonnie Hunter Crayon Box quilt I was able to keep all blocks the correct size and there were no seams to match up so I did not need to square those blocks up prior to joining to other blocks and the sashing. It was perfect as it came off the machine. Usually, I don't choose patterns with that large of a block (12") and where it doesn't require that seams match. It was kind of fun to not have to fuss over it for a change.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Most of the time I square them up.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:00 PM

Yes, I do, I have rulers for all the common sizes up to 16 inches.