Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone? >

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM

I am a 60-something grandmother of 4 with a full-time job. It's just my DH and me at home, so I have as much time as I can squeeze out to sew. I've been quilting for about 14 years and find that it is a very solitary past time, which is why I belong to two quilt guilds and one quilting bee. If someone says "retreat", I am there, (1) because I like to go different places and enjoy the scenery and (2) you meet all kinds of people, from the 20-somethings to the 80-somethings, and they all like to do at least one thing that I like to do, too -- quilt! All the retreats I have been to have had a variety of activities, including an optional class, a "field trip" to a LQS which you could go on or not, great food, games, and lots of time to sew. Oh, there's always chocolate, too, if you are so inclined. I am an early riser, so I always take an afternoon nap, or if the weather's nice and there's a comfortable chair outside, I will sit and doze in the fresh air.

Several years ago, a fellow QB-er posted an open invitation to a retreat in East Texas. I pm'd her and got all the information and decided to go. We had never met, and the group was a long-time group of quilting friends who have a retreat twice a year. Talk about wondering what possessed me. Well, I found a wonderful group of women who made me feel right at home. Most of them thought I was soooooo brave to go to a retreat where I knew no one. I'm sorry to say that I lost contact with them, which in the age of FB and email is shameful.

I hope you decide to go to at least one of these retreats. If you don't have fun, you don't have to do it again, but I'll bet you have a good time.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I went to my first quilt retreat by myself last month. I did meet a few quilters from another forum but most of them I didn't know. It was so much fun!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 PM

I went on an all day shop hop when we were on vacation in another state. The van went to about 5 motels picking up quilters on the way and as each person got in it was like old friends meeting for the first time. We all had a ball.

I am very shy and don't even write much here because of it. I have found that with quilters all you have to do is quilt and you will have fun. The people are so wonderful and the few that are a little less wonderful you just ignore.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:19 PM

Thank you Jan for giving her your wonderful advise. My mother (84 at the time) called me about going to a quilt retreat. Should she or shouldn't she go by herself. I said GO, GO, GO and she did. She not only met some wonderful people, got a lot of sewing done, ate lots of good food, and has gone to many more since that first one. It's hard to keep up with her. There were many younger women as well as older at retreats and we all have the best thing in common QUILTING. Go make some friends and have a good time.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:50 PM

The quilt retreats I go to have old, young, and not so young. No problem? Our talk is mostly about quilts. So, maybe the older ladies might be better quilters, but they would probably be glad to give you some tips. To me, one purpose for retreats is to have a learning experience. Go for it!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:20 PM

I say go for it! I always go to retreats "alone" as my personal quilting buddies don't go, I enjoy myself thoroughly. One time I sat beside a much older retired lady (her oldest grandchild wasn't much younger then me) who I never met before. Next retreat she asked if she could sit by me, I took it as a great compliment. I am very shy so each time I go I am pushing myself and its so worth it.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:23 PM

Forgot to mention, the last retreat I went to was an overnight and I shared a room with a total stranger, we had so much fun laying in the dark giggling for hours. She told me later it was like being young again telling stories in the dark.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Absolutely go! Many years ago(probably 10) I too wanted to go to a retreat - alone. Where I go has a retreat 2 times a year, and I think i waited at least a year before I got up the courage to go. How silly of me, since I have had SO much fun every March and November and I have only missed one time in all those years. I still go 'alone' but when I get there I am not alone! Everyone is so nice and we love newcomers too! There is great food, snacks, conversation, and best of all - time to quilt. Even if you don't have the best time, hopefully you will learn something new, meet someone new, and get some uninterrupted sewing done.... and if this retreat doesn't quite fit - try a different one. I always come home inspired and renewed! Let us know about your experience!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:30 PM

I've always been a bit of a loner and often either the oldest or youngest in a group of whatever kind. My thought is, you are going to be sharing a love of quilting with every person there, so you automatically have a point of contact. Granted, there will be other things to make you different, but so what, you do share the most important "sameness" for this group, so go and enjoy!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 AM

Default quilter from Hamilton

Originally Posted by Digitabulist View Post
I had wanted to do a quilt retreat for awhile. When my LQS put one together, I signed up not knowing anyone but her. It was a WONDERFUL experience and I've made an annual retreat since then. Once my quilting buddies heard about what a terrific time I had, some have joined me each year. Now we have our own group that retreats each January in the same place…Bridle Creek Bed and Breakfast in Hamilton NY.
Hi there,
I happened to read your message on Quilting board and noticed you have been to Bridle Creek B & B. What a coincidence. My daughter is planning on getting a group together to go to that very same place this Spring. We went to Stella Maris (sp ?) this past Fall for the first time and had a wonderful time. Everyone had bragged and bragged about it. So we took the plunge and decided it was the best thing we could ever have done for ourselves. Yes it was a excuse to get "away" from it all but we also met some wonderful people and learned a few things along the way. I am from Clinton NY and my daughter is from New Hartford. It's not too far away that if we needed to get back home in a hurry we could (no plane, train etc.). So would you go back to Bridle Creek again if you had the chance? I hope that young woman will have as much fun that my daughter and I did at our retreat.
Linda from Clinton