Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Binding batik fabric >

Hand Binding batik fabric

Hand Binding batik fabric

Old 12-05-2013, 04:39 AM

I'm hand quilting a quilt now that has one batik fabric. I've hand quilted batiks numerous times in the past. I must say, though, this particular fabric is behaving as many have mentioned about batiks previously. Oy vey! My fingers feel like pin cushions must! Admittedly, my Roxanne is not a new needle which would probably help. Otherwise, I've never had issues quilting or binding with batiks.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Keep testing needles till you find one that goes thru easily. I stitch only the back on my batik bindings by hand. The front is machine stitched. Plus, I just stitch the back fabric and the edge of the binding so, it isn't going thru the entire thickness.
I agree. I am doing mug rug with 1.75" double fold binding so it is a very snug. Having no problem with the batiks. Just catch a few threads on the fold of the binding. Use very sharp & skinny needles. Good luck !!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:51 AM

Thank you ALL for your suggestions on use of the sharp skinny needles and also the one about glueing and pressing and SITD. I will look for a needle today at my local quilt shop as I really love the look of the back being hand stitched. Someday when it is a quilt I am making for myself (rather than a gift) I will try the glueing, pressing and SITD.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 AM

Be sure NOT to get the glue where your needle should go through! I've not had trouble with sewing batiks by hand but avoid going through dried glue at all costs! I use it, but carefully.

Originally Posted by Odeliasimone View Post
Thank you ALL for your suggestions on use of the sharp skinny needles and also the one about glueing and pressing and SITD. I will look for a needle today at my local quilt shop as I really love the look of the back being hand stitched. Someday when it is a quilt I am making for myself (rather than a gift) I will try the glueing, pressing and SITD.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Default Glue and Needles, Oh My!

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Be sure NOT to get the glue where your needle should go through! I've not had trouble with sewing batiks by hand but avoid going through dried glue at all costs! I use it, but carefully.
Thank you for that reminder. Knowing me, I would not even have thought that out.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 AM

I like these needles for bindings - nice and smooth. I also like silk thread as it glides through the fabric nicely.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I have never had trouble with hand sewing batiks. You may need a thimble and a different needle selection. I use a very sharp, slim and a bit longer than a regular quilting needle. I can't remember the size right now but try a few different sizes as long as the thread fits you will find a needle that works for you. It should not be a struggle.
peace