Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone? >

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 AM

Go by all means. You will know the group before you get home and you will have a great time. and you will come home with somemore knowledge about quilts and you will be able to pass on your ideas also. I went to one in May and did not know anyone there but I did have a lady from here to go along because I did not want to drive about 7 hrs by myself. I only knew one lady by e:mailing and she invited me to come. Had a great time SO GO
Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM

I have gone alone, and had a great time. However I don't have any problem walking into a room full of people I don't know. If you can walk into a boardroom and make a presentation to whoever is there, then don't give another thought to going to a retreat alone. Quilters are much more kind and accepting than most any boardroom full. You have nothing to hold you back.. You don't need grandkids, or a husband or children or a fancy machine, or experience or pretty clothes or any other thing to have fun with other women who also just want to get away and have fun! oh, and maybe learn some new things. If you find one woman that isn't that way, or wants only to hang with their friend, find another place to sit. Quilters are the best. Also ask whoever is sponsoring the retreat if there are others like you, perhaps you can meet up and strike up a grand and new friendship.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:26 PM

I went to my first retreat "alone". My assigned roommate at that retreat is now my very dear friend, shopping buddy, and retreat partner.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:02 PM

By all means go. You will meet some great people who will take you under their wing and help in any way they can. Don't deprive yourself of a good time by being shy. Have fun
Old 12-05-2013, 04:14 PM

Go to the retreat. You'll love it. Most quilters are friendly. You might be surprised to find out that quilters have other interests. Enjoy!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:59 PM

I have not been to any quilt function by my self where I didn't feel welcome. We all something in common to help us bond. If I were you I would go and enjoy myself.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:55 PM

I am going to answer this from the opposite side of the table. I've been to "sit and sews" (not weekend retreats) where I felt as though I were invisible. So I would encourage everyone reading this to look for those who might feel as "Sewnoma" does, whether it's at a retreat or at a guild meeting or wherever.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:10 AM

About 6 years ago a shop owner talked me into going to her retreat and my friend was iffy about going and backed out at the last minute. I still went nervous as can be and I ended up having a great time. I did know shop owner.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Give it a try. Be sure to ask for help from the more experienced in quilting. We had a lot of laughter at the last one I attended.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 AM

Yes! Just talk to everybody!