Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
May Have To Use My Treadles This Week >

May Have To Use My Treadles This Week

May Have To Use My Treadles This Week

Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Can not even imagine that kind of cold. It is 53 here and we all think it is cold. I guess we are really sissy when it comes to cold.LOL
Old 12-05-2013, 02:34 PM

That is the best looking tractor I have seen in a long time
Old 12-05-2013, 03:11 PM

I am going to come to visit your shop some day before long. I have seen postings on Craigs list for a pfaff in a treadle cabinet. It looked awesome. Just have not been able to find a space to put one more.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:27 PM

Sorry to hear about all the cold weather out y'alls way and pray y'all will all be safe and stay warm. It was 80 degrees here today but we may start have some colder weather by Sunday. 50 degrees is getting too cold for me...LOL!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by PATTIESPEARL View Post
I am going to come to visit your shop some day before long. I have seen .... pfaff in a treadle cabinet.

Well, we’d love to have you come by, but today would not be a good day. We got some snow on top of the ice from yesterday (as you no doubt also got north of us) so we’re “playing hooky” today and won’t be in the shop. Schools and the Court House will be closed, so there will be fewer people milling around downtown. We’ll probably be back open Monday morning.

I built that Pfaff 130-6 up in a Singer MUTT (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle) to try to entice a wallet-maker friend of mine to buy it from me. He liked it, but didn’t take it. He has a Singer 15-30 hand crank that I set him up with before, and he said he’ll just stay with that one. I don’t know if it’s because he actually thinks he wouldn’t like the MUTT better, or if Craft Show sales have been just too poor lately to justify the expense.

I had my Singer 306W in my MUTT in a booth next to him at one show while he was hand cranking in his, so he knows how space-saving a MUTT can be compared to a regular treadle cabinet. Space is precious in show booths, and I’ve also enjoyed the benefit of a small treadle foot-print at my home and shop as well. I’m letting the CL ad expire, if it hasn’t already. The machine is in the front window at the shop.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine160_01.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	450162  
Old 12-06-2013, 07:49 AM

I love the look of it and I love treadles. Thankfully, we did not get the ice that you folks got, we did get quite a bit of snow though and it is bitterly cold.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Down here in the gulf we have an ice warning for later today and low temps (for down here) in the high 30s to low 40s. Just yesterday it was in the 70s in the morning and by noon had already dropped to the 50s and kept on dropping. I moved to south Texas because of lusty love or lovely lust (however) I also moved to get away from all the snow and ice. On Christmas Day of 2004 I woke up to 6" of snow. Thank God it was gone by midnight. I have truly become a panty waist but still refuse to turn on a furnace when I can heat this little house with a couple space heaters. Prayers from the gulf though who have it worse than I do. Oh and another thing, the people down here can hardly drive well on a good dry summer day so I will not be venturing out when the icy weather comes. Need to go to the grocery store and get some food before everything breaks loose.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned

Ok, So I live in "sunny" California...

I live 45 minute drive from Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

WHY is it 28 friggin degrees here this morning??? (my Friend who lives in Fairfield said it was 18 on his porch yesterday morning.

Now, if I have to deal with frigid weather, then I want to be in the country or mountains, NOT in this converted desert...

...end of rant
Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by PATTIESPEARL View Post
I love the look of it and I love treadles. ...we did get quite a bit of snow.....

Having industrial power stands, I like the simple look of treadles having only a board surface for a top too. I have been perusing YouTube videos about treadle sewing, and found several filmed in Asia and India showing similar treadle stands with machines in them labeled Usha.

I made my MUTT to take to remote venues, so I was trying to minimize weight and footprint of the unit. I even took the dress guard off of mine, just to eliminate a little more weight. The small sewing area isn’t a problem with all of the folding tables that are available now. When I need to sew something big, I just set a table next to it.

We only got a couple of inches of snow, and only a little ice before that. My wife and I are both from Colorado snow country and have lived in a lot of it. We lived at 7000 ft on the Western Slope of the Continental Divide. She misses the snow, but I worked outside in it, so I don’t miss the snow a danged bit. That’s why we’re in Oklahoma now.

We only live about 8 blocks from the shop, so traveling isn’t much of an issue. We just doubt that very many people will be coming to the shop, so it is an excuse to stay home and sew Christmas pretties for the children and grandchildren!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Down here in the gulf we have an ice warning for later today .....
Yes, I see that the ice line is way down there this time. It’s been a few years since it’s been that far south. I hope you don’t lose power and don’t get too much tree damage.

Have you got a treadle or hand crank ready to go?

CD in Oklahoma