Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Collecting tips to make this Singer 28K run >

Collecting tips to make this Singer 28K run

Collecting tips to make this Singer 28K run

Old 12-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Yes! Same here! I'm always impressed at what some people can carry on top of their heads!

CD in Oklahoma
I have trouble enough carrying a brain...
Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 AM

I'm presently reading this other thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t43881-37.html
With 4303 pages, and say I read an average of 25 pages per day... I'll be through by June!
Tomorrow I'll be purchasing Singer machine oil (I only have a miniflask that came with my modern machine), denaturalized alcohol, linseed oil, and shellac. Wonder where I can find them. Probably at the hardware and craft store I buy paint, working tools and the like from.
There is in Spain something similar to Craig's List. Never used it, but my sister is addicted to it. She purchased there odd things like antique cast iron heaters, pieces of furniture and parts for them and so forth. I'll ask her.
Two blocks from my parents in law there is a Singer dealer and repair shop with one of these Old Sewing Machine Guys. He ofen gets vintage sewing machines from the people that purchase new ones, and he knows a lot. I've bought from him needles, attachments, bulbs etc for my modern machine, and he sure knows what it's about. Haven't seen any machine older than 40 years in his shop, though, but I haven't had a chance to look what's in its dusty dusky backroom.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lourixe View Post
I'm presently reading this other thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t43881-37.html
With 4303 pages, and say I read an average of 25 pages per day... I'll be through by June!
Tomorrow I'll be purchasing Singer machine oil (I only have a miniflask that came with my modern machine), denaturalized alcohol, linseed oil, and shellac. Wonder where I can find them. Probably at the hardware and craft store I buy paint, working tools and the like from.
There is in Spain something similar to Craig's List. Never used it, but my sister is addicted to it. She purchased there odd things like antique cast iron heaters, pieces of furniture and parts for them and so forth. I'll ask her.
Two blocks from my parents in law there is a Singer dealer and repair shop with one of these Old Sewing Machine Guys. He ofen gets vintage sewing machines from the people that purchase new ones, and he knows a lot. I've bought from him needles, attachments, bulbs etc for my modern machine, and he sure knows what it's about. Haven't seen any machine older than 40 years in his shop, though, but I haven't had a chance to look what's in its dusty dusky backroom.
don't forget the Naptha or lighter fluid for cleaning it up. I am still learning - Glenn insists on the Naptha and he insists on following his directions.
OSMG may have some parts if he can find them. The same modern bobbin tires fit. You are very fortunate to have an old hand crank!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:51 PM

I've also downloaded these pdf from Singer to indentify the missing parts and their references:
http://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/27K_28K.pdf
http://parts.singerco.com/IPpartChar..._127K_128K.pdf
Old 12-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

here is a link for repair manuals:
http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...e-manuals.html
scroll down and find the machine number you need.

Last edited by miriam; 12-09-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

I got very brave this morning. I used the linseed oil and shellac on the machine. It is still wet:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450922[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450923[/ATTACH]
It is still rough but I can see that the old shellac is starting to look a bit better.
I noticed that I can not let the rag go slack on my finger. My finger is much smaller than Glenn's so I was trying to make more area - don't bother - just go over and over it. I used a chop stick to drizzle the shellac out of the jar onto my rag.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer 28 shellac first coat 007.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	450922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer 28 shellac first coat 005.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	450923  
Old 12-09-2013, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

The serial number reads: K174459 so the birthday is April 7, 1902. That date is close to half way between my two grandma's birthdays.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

There is quite a bit of just metal with no shellac on my machine. Glenn, does that Linseed oil ever dry? Should that be wiped off or just leave it and do more shellac/linseed oil? Should I add more linseed oil to the machine before I use more shellac? How soon after I have used the linseed oil/shellac can I use more shellac? Does it need to dry out first?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:13 AM

There is no 28K manual on that link, but I downloaded 127/128's. That blog has also an interesting thread with how to start Learning about vintage sewing machines. Thanks for the tip!

I think Glenn wrote somewhere that it took some time for the linseed oil to dry out, but I don't remember where I read it! I've been surfing too many sites, blogs and forum threads so far.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lourixe View Post
There is no 28K manual on that link, but I downloaded 127/128's. That blog has also an interesting thread with how to start Learning about vintage sewing machines. Thanks for the tip!

I think Glenn wrote somewhere that it took some time for the linseed oil to dry out, but I don't remember where I read it! I've been surfing too many sites, blogs and forum threads so far.
The 127 and 128 manual should do the job.