Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mending a knee hole in chinos - nothing is working...help! >

Mending a knee hole in chinos - nothing is working...help!

Mending a knee hole in chinos - nothing is working...help!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
My son works in retail and he wears black chino pants and they keep ripping at the knees. I've tried the iron on patches, then one on each side, but they either wear off or wash off.

Any ideas how I can sew them on without making them look like a raggedy patch? Should I just buy similar fabric and try to sew around the edge?
There is a product called tear mender that permantly bonds two fabrics together,it works great and I have washed my sons pants many times and the patch is still there.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:41 AM

I looked it up on line It is Tear mender.com I hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:59 AM

My late father was hard on jeans and brought them to me for repair. I darned them using my Elna SU 62C machine. The serpentine stitch, small stitches. If you decide to give this method a whirl, message me; I would be pleased to help.

The first set of jeans I did for him was just after my mother divorced him (both of them aged 70, believe it or not!). He had gone through both knees and a place onthe back leg. He was so upset about the divorce that I dug out some embroidery thread and stitched silly sayings over the darned holes: Skateboard Ace, I love my Daddy, ... foolishness to make him smile. Twenty years later we are emptying his house. I found those jeans. He doesn't seem to have ever worn them. They were tucked away with some other things that meant a lot to him and wanted kept safe. I am thinking of cutting out the repairs and framing them for my sewing room.

Pat
Old 12-09-2013, 09:43 AM

I use to fix the knee's in my brothers work pants- he was a roofer But I would open the seams and add a quilted knee pad. This could work for you. They still sell that hem tape in black to keep it attached to the inside of the pant legs. Do this to a couple pair of new chino's it may help the knees last longer.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Pat-W1613s........that is such a touching story. Than you for sharing. How special that he saved them with his other treasured things. By all means frame them for your sewing room
Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
My son works in retail and he wears black chino pants and they keep ripping at the knees. I've tried the iron on patches, then one on each side, but they either wear off or wash off.

Any ideas how I can sew them on without making them look like a raggedy patch? Should I just buy similar fabric and try to sew around the edge?
I don't have a sewing idea, but I do have a suggestion that may help. My father tore the knees out of every pair of work pants he ever wore until I took a sewing class in college and learned that the reason this happens is usually muscular thighs,which my father had and I am guessing your son may also. if I am right, tell him to grab his pant leg just above the knee, and pull them up a little before he squats down. Also, when he gets a new pair, you can sew in a gusset in the crotch area so that he has more room for body movement. The gusset should be about 4-5 inches wide,and about 6-7 inches long, cut in a long diamond shape. Go to your nearest store that carries men's durable work pants, most of them have the added gusset, to get the idea of what to do. Basically- open the crotch seam, add the gusset to one side, and then the other when you close the crotch seam. Problem prevented! Clear as mud right?
Old 12-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

There is a line of jeans cslled Ballroom Jeans. (Really!) They have that gusset sewn in like madame kelly just described.