Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away >

What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away

What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away

Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 AM

Those little triangles that get cut off of snowball blocks. Life is to short to sew them into half square units.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:49 AM

I'm saving empty spools to make a garland for our quilt boutique. If you want to send me some, I would love having them!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I will continue after a few posts.
I am always saving everything-- until I run out of storage that is.Then out go the very small scraps, old blades, I keep one or two for cutting wadding and paper.My problem is I lose the things I WANT ! On a trip to Scotland I bought a lovely selectio of wool roavings for needle felting, then when I wanted them for making christmas gifts and cards --nowhere to be found!!!! It would seem I throw out things I want.I am broken hearted,not only can I have lost a lovely memory of a shop we found on holiday I really cannot afford to replace the buy. Oh well,guess the lesson is take care you know what you are throwing out. Love Letty
Old 12-09-2013, 11:58 AM

bent pins or a tool that I think was a waste of money ---thread ends no, because I use them in my art quilts
Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Most of what has been mentioned already. Probably bigger scraps of fabric than many. I don't have a lot of room and don't want to collect a lot of little stuff I probably will never have enough patience to sew.

Really, I'm just commenting so I can see what Holice throws away.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:54 PM

The fuzz I dig out of the bobbin case!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Banned

When I wrote the original post I was thinking about those items - especially empty spools that might be useful to art teachers in schools. I usually toss them but might they also be useful to teachers. However, I have gaines new resolve for a lot of other "stuff" I accumulate. For instance, the bag of strings cut from quilts, blocks and batting that "I just know someone who makes pillows for the dog pound can use. Then after reading the replies here, I realized that I don't know anyone who makes pillows for dog pounds. In fact I don't even know where there is a dog pound located. So, the recycle truck is going to get soe bags next time he comes around.

If you could see my work room you would know I don't throw away much. Downsize and clean up is not a word I know the meaning of However, the catch phrase "he or she who has the most fabric wins". I have arrived at the time in life that winning is not important.

Last edited by Holice; 12-09-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Holice, I keep a medium flat rate postage box in my sewing room. All fabric/batting I do not want to keep get tossed in it. When it's full, I post on QB that it is free for the cost of postage. I've gotten rid of 2 boxes that way and almost have another ready to go.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
I have a hard time throwing anything away, but thread ends, empty spools, broken needles get tossed.
I read this and immediately thought...oh boy, do I throw anything away?
I'm happy to say that I agree with you jlm, bc I used to almost hoard, and I have gotten so much better about not keeping every darn thing. You really do feel lighter
Old 12-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Bad pins! Top answer. Just yesterday, paid $16 for a little box of what looks like about 100 glass-headed patchwork pins, for the pleasure of getting rid of the bad old ones. It will be worth every Aussie cent.
Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
bad pins! good answer.