Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you have one of these machines.... >

If you have one of these machines....

If you have one of these machines....

Old 12-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Default Sewing Machines

1. Brother DreamWeaver (sewing and quilting)
2. baby lock Crescendo ('' '' )
3. Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900 (sewing and quilting)

This is timely...my Janome 6500 needs $525.00 worth of work and I'm not sure that I want to put that much into it. It has been an ok machine. I have never been happy with the fact that it eats fabric in the beginning of stitching even with a starter piece. The straight stitch has always had a little wave to it. I looked at the Pfaff and the Viking. The saleslady wasn't enthusiastic about her job. Her main comment was after the first of the year prices will go up. I have just started looking and will be following this with interest.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:33 AM

I have a Brother NQ650 inovis which is slightly different that what you are looking for but having the ability to do the sideways stich is one of the best selling points to me. I would recommend you go spend some time 'in store' using the machines to decide which you would get the most use from. We can give you opinions, but you will be the user so you must take the time to familiarize yourself with the machines to make your decision.

I have no complaints about my Brother machines, and I have used three of them in the last 28 years and never found a reason for regret. I have also never had one of them in the shop for any reason. I do my own cleaning regularly, and I can only guess this is why they have never needed to go to the sewing machine doctor? IMHO

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-10-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:54 AM

I have a Janome 8900 . I love it for piecing and quilting. I have had it a year have no problems. Best machine I have ever used.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 AM

I love my Janome. Mine doesn't eat the fabric.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 AM

I have a Husqvarna-Viking Designer II. Would not trade it for all the money in the world.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:11 PM

Perhaps what I should have said in the beginning, is that I need a VERY user friendly machine!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 PM

I guess you have your reasons why you don't want to buy a Bernina, but personally I think all others sew like a clodhopper compared to a Bernina. Yes, they are horribly expensive, but oh, so worth it.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
agreed I have a DesignerSe and a diamond-Husqvarna is always my 1st choice
I have a HV Sapphire 875, love my machine. It has a 10" throat and gets used most often for machine quilting.
Sharon

Last edited by purplefiend; 12-10-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I guess you have your reasons why you don't want to buy a Bernina, but personally I think all others sew like a clodhopper compared to a Bernina. Yes, they are horribly expensive, but oh, so worth it.
I have 2 older Berninas, wouldn't get rid of them ever. Bernina 930 about 1985 is still sewing great as her sister the 1031(bought new in 1992). These 2 are my favorite machines. They were expensive, both are over 20 years old and still sewing great.
Sharon
Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Before buying a machine, check out all the sewing machine dealers near you. Getting good customer service is a big factor in buying a new machine. The nearest Bernina dealer to me is about 50 miles away. I go instead to the Bernina dealer 100 miles from me. The reason? The Bernina dealer. The one 50 miles from me is unhelpful and just plain wrong about some of the info that he has given me. The dealer 100 miles from me is helpful and accurate in their info. I have purchased presser feet from them and they happily mail it to me. It is hard for me to drive anymore and I appreciate that they will send it to me without acting like it's a huge favor. They get my business because they know how to behave professionally and are happy to have customers. They told me that they have customers that drive the entire length of the state and that's hundreds of miles to go to their store. That says a lot.