Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-14-2013, 07:01 AM

I think traditional patterns and quilting fabrics look better in a country or classic bedroom setting. I also think modern patterns/colors look more at home in an urban setting. However...I love all quilts and would welcome any and all styles, colors and patterns that I might have gifted to me.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:06 AM

Once in a while I see a modern quilt which appeals to me, but for the most part they don't blow my skirt up. Nevertheless, I can appreciate them and those who like them. I think they definitely have a place in our world, I just will likely never make one.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:14 AM

Any new quilters into the fold is good for all of us, keeps us forefront in the marketing share.
That said all that grey depresses the heck out of me.
Grey and teal and pink will be the teens equivalent of 1980's dusty blue and mauve. Dated. Which is fine because then we all move on to something more challenging and use up the dated quilts Win win.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Quilts are like art, some are traditional, some are country/rustic, some are modern and minimalist. I happen to prefer the more modern look, but it is a matter of personal preference. I will say some of the more 'modern' quilts are a real challenge for me, but I am a fairly new quilter. If the only quilting options were for the really intricate, detailed designs that you experienced, professional quilters do, I would never have taken up quilting!
I agree with you Jeanne. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder someone once said. I try to make my quilts attractive, cherry and bright. I hope they are still around after I am dead and buried. I did see recently a show on quilting aired on PBS. Some guy made art out of recyclable aluminum cans in the shape of quilt patterns. He didn't think it fair that his art wasn't considered a quilt. In my mind as long as there is fabric on the front and back and batting in the center, it's a quilt.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Thanks, Holice, I did some reading that referenced the WSJ article. Got a chuckle out of your workmanship statement.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:29 AM
SSK

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Yes I do see the modern and liberated quilt styles as easier ways to sew. But it also allows for a new expression to emerge. If we want the art of quilting to continue as craft we need to have new quilters--it's not just Grandma's who quilt. The modern quilt movement has encouraged younger quilters to create. If this demographic wants to be hip and up to date they need to follow the dictates of current design. Traditional quilts don't always fit that influence. Over the years these artists will develop and modify their skills just as we w"traditional" quilters have. I know my tastes in color and pattern, block choices and settings have changed over the years. I hope we can have enough fabric choices for all types of quilting so that we can continue to enjoy this satisfying past time in our own style.
Well said!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for starting this thread--it's been an interesting read.
As far as quilts lasting--that depends on how they are used. The pristine examples we have from ages past were not used everyday and not allowed to lay in the sun. Right now I have a couple of 1990 era calico type 9P and snowball quilts that are deteriorating fast. Why--because my kids used them on their beds and they were thrown in the washing machine regularly. The quilts served the purpose for what they were made for.

Thanks SSK :-)
Old 12-14-2013, 07:49 AM

I imagine this is a conversation many, many generations have had and will have. Remember, what we now call traditional, someone used to call modern. I don't consider a modern quilter a cop-out anymore than I consider a traditional quilter old fashioned. To eachbhisown!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Banned

Default My take on Modern quilts

I agree with Sewbizgirl -" too much traditional just bores me stupid!" People tell me my quilts are more along the modern line but I just do what excites me. I make a variety of styles - some 3D, some using panels panels it just depends on the pattern and the fabrics! My quilts are not easy and most of them I design myself - http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...38-albums.html. My current quilt is Called Crazy Diamonds and I named it that because it is driving my CRAZY!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CD small.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	451682  
Old 12-14-2013, 09:50 AM

I am a big fan of quilts, to define a quilt as any class without looking at it for artistry....I'm not a big fan of all color choices people pick, but that's the thing each quilt is uniquely inspired by the maker be it color pallet and or pattern each is an individual choice...