Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
NEW UPDATE!!  11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!! >

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

Old 12-14-2013, 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=VickiM;6456902]Hey, Dreamer...remember when you posted this? I thought it was so cute that I printed it off & today I made a batch...fun, fun, fun. Thanks for posting it.

[I thought about making some when Dreamer posted it. The tube of frosting put me off, and I still cant guess what the equivalent would be.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by starshine View Post
Yes Dotty, I follow the $20 guideline, if it is something I bought on sale and put in a box to use in swaps I count the cost. I think it is important to follow the guidelines for a few reasons. One is integrity, in the the guidelines it is stated that if you sign up you agree to follow them.

And I know there are people who have participated in swaps(this one and the monthly one) and don't continue because when they see the amount of some packages they feel bad for the person they send to because they can't spend more and don't have a huge stash like some have mentioned having, and they feel the person they sent to is shortchanged because they did follow the guideline. This situation is one that I think it is more generous to follow the guidelines so that everyone that joins is on equal grounds on both ends of the scale, and no one will feel the package they sent that was following the guideline is too little because others have sent a lot more. And on the other side, no one should send something that is of less value than the guideline either, and if you take it from your stash don't inflate the value to try to get by without meeting the guideline.

If someone is pulling stuff from their stash or buying things through out the year are they figuring what the cost would be? Or are they taking from their stash and not counting the value for another reason? Some have said that if they are spending money on postage to sent they want to get their money's worth. This would only be a viable reason if yo are sending overseas where your postage is the same for anything 4 pounds or less as that is the starting price whether it is 1# or 3, or 4#s, and if more weight it will be more cost. But domestically you don't have to send by priority mail so it really isn't viable as a reason for sending in priority flat rate box, if you don't have a heavy gift to send.

The person I had last year stated on some thread here that her sp spent a lot more and when I saw that, I posted that if it was more it was only $1 or 2 more. The reason I think that she thought that was because in the summer I picked up a miniture tea cup and saucer at a rummage sale, thinking it could be used to make a cute pincushion for a swap. Well the person I had happened to collect teacups so instead of making a pincushion I included the $1 teacup & saucer. I am sure if I went to one of the antique stores and bought that same one it would have been more.

Someone stated that if they order something they don't include the shipping charges--but the guidelines clearly state that postage is not included in the $20-so no one should include shipping charges for things they order as well as the cost to send the package.

And if I get a package that follows the rules I am absolutely happy. If I get a package that is double or triple, yes I am happy to get it. But my preference would be to get a package from someone who follows the rules so anyone is comfortable being in the swap.
In the very first post, here's what Terri said about spending.

"... As in the past years, you will send 4 Fat Quarters and a gift(s) NOT to exceed $20. I know some in the past have sent MUCH more than the $20 limit and that cannot be helped. Some people are just a bit more generous than others. That is nothing to get mad about and nothing I can control. ..."

There are also rules about what not to send, firm mailing date, not opening gifts before the opening date, etc. Since this is Terri's swap, I believe we should abide by her decision, regarding the stash offerings and other extras.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:21 AM

I agree Neesie but I still think inflation plays a big part in going over the $20.00. For myself I REALLY want to send something they want or need so I can't see buying things on sale throughout the year just to be buying things and not knowing who I'm buying for and what they're likes and dislikes are. And, seriously, most people who quilt already have what they need so if they needed something that would be what they asked for. I think that when the one you buy for lists just "anything" you, also, tend to spend more because you're hoping to hit at least SOMETHING they would like. Just my opinion......
Old 12-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
Sorry to my Secret Santa-still in the hospital while my box calls my name in the distance Hope to be home in the next few days!
Pat, be assured that you are being kept in our thoughts and prayers and that you can go home SOON! Honestly, I think I'm getting as excited for you to open your present as you must be!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:31 AM

[QUOTE=m-fay;6457100]
Originally Posted by VickiM View Post
Hey, Dreamer...remember when you posted this? I thought it was so cute that I printed it off & today I made a batch...fun, fun, fun. Thanks for posting it.

[I thought about making some when Dreamer posted it. The tube of frosting put me off, and I still cant guess what the equivalent would be.
I couldn't get the tube of white frosting...all they had were colors. So I bought the canned frosting, it worked, but was alittle more messy.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
I agree Neesie but I still think inflation plays a big part in going over the $20.00. For myself I REALLY want to send something they want or need so I can't see buying things on sale throughout the year just to be buying things and not knowing who I'm buying for and what they're likes and dislikes are. And, seriously, most people who quilt already have what they need so if they needed something that would be what they asked for. I think that when the one you buy for lists just "anything" you, also, tend to spend more because you're hoping to hit at least SOMETHING they would like. Just my opinion......
Wonnie, I totally agree with the inflation problem/issue . . . and unless Terri says otherwise, I plan to continue buying on sale, pulling from my stash, and including other odds and ends, I find throughout the year. . . without factoring in the cost of those things. I honestly wouldn't mind receiving a gift strictly by the guidelines; if there's something I'm pining for, I'll go buy it for myself. What I would mind, is being told I must figure in the price of every last thing I choose to send. If we start doing that, then we should also factor in the regular price, as opposed to sales prices. After all, not everyone is able to find the same sales. One thing will lead to another and before long, all of the joy will be gone.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Well Nessie, I'm sure Terri probably will read these posts and maybe make some changes if she sees anything she agrees with. I do see where you're coming from in re to two people buying the same item, one on sale and one not, making one recipient potentially with more than another but that's really just "life", isn't it? I think it all balances out in the end because life just isn't
always fair and we accept what is and move on...right?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 AM

If everyone will "assume" that everyone else has good motives, is trying to do what they can and wants to please their Santa recipient, then everyone will have a wonderful time, regardless of the nitty gritty details, which have a tenancy to bog down some because of perception? Terri can't possibly list each and every single rule that must or mustn't be followed...we must all be individuals and go with our best efforts...and celebrate our differences??? Life's waaaay too short to be "stuck" on non essentials? Merry Christmas to each and everyone here on this thread...I've had a marvelous time!

A HUGE thank you to Terri for hosting this swap! You rock!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Well Nessie, I'm sure Terri probably will read these posts and maybe make some changes if she sees anything she agrees with. I do see where you're coming from in re to two people buying the same item, one on sale and one not, making one recipient potentially with more than another but that's really just "life", isn't it? I think it all balances out in the end because life just isn't
always fair and we accept what is and move on...right?
I'm afraid I'm coming from a totally different station than you thought, as I was being facetious, with my comment about sales vs. regular prices. I'm sorry you misunderstood the meaning behind my words. I tend to forget some may take my words literally.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 AM

No problem Neesie! Guess the problem is really whether to take the rules literally or not. Similar to what you said....if you make something from your stash, is that a "freebie" ...or...if you make something but have to buy the fabric, interfacing, batting, zipper, etc.,is that your $20.00? I can see where two different people, both in good conscience, would see it both ways. That's why I said life balances out in the end.