Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eye sight is dimming >

Eye sight is dimming

Eye sight is dimming

Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 AM

How about taking the needle out, thread it leaving a long tail and put the needle back in the machine? You would be able to have the needle closer to see the hole to thread it and put it back in your machine already threaded. I think this would be quicker than trying for an hour to thread it!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 AM

Place some white paper or fabric behind the needle, you shouldn't have any trouble after that. An hour of trying does seem extreme. I'd get an eye test if I were you.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 AM

I keep a small led flashlight beside all my machines. The light from it makes it so much easier especially on my
long arm and big embroidery machine.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:51 AM

all good advice but I would really say get your eyes checked that happened to me and they found I had macular degeneration and thank heavens in this day and age there is treatment for it if caught early they cannot undo the damage but they can stop it from advancing good luck
Old 12-15-2013, 06:26 AM

I too, had both eyes operated for cataracts..I can't believe how bright everything appears! My distance is 20/20 plus!! I need cheaters, they are really cheap....please make an appointment to see an eye professional. If it is cataracts, you'll be amazed at the difference after surg.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
An hour? You get an award for stick-to-it-ness! If I can't do it in 30 seconds, I call my son for help (for hand needles)--machine has a threader.
I have always believed whatever it is - I can do it! To admit defeat was very difficult.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:34 AM

When I had cataract surgery, I had one eye corrected for near-sighted and one eye corrected for far-sighted. That way, I can get by without glasses 99% of the time. I can drive as well as read without wearing glasses! When I am doing up-close work, I use cheaters because that helps to magnify the work. I do plan to get a pair of glasses that will correct my eyes in the opposite manner for intermediate vision. The main thing is I really don't have to have them. It has been wonderful not having to wear glasses after wearing them for 30 years.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:34 AM

I have a very bad eye since my cataract surgery so I understand completely. I use a large magnifying glass, have my thread cut very sharp, and take a piece of white paper with nothing on it to hold behind the needle. I can usually get my Bernina threaded then. Good Luck, I do understand the difficulty.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 AM

I lost the sight in both eyes due to a genetic disease. With surgery (cornea transplant) they were able to restore the sight in one eye. I have a magnifier mounted on my machine and a halogen light to assist. No more excuses from me!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:18 AM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is eye dryness. When we sew, read, or do anything that requires concentration, we don't blink as much as normal. Longer periods of time between blinking causes the natural tears to dry and vision to become blurry. I have a bottle of artificial tears by my computer, sewing machine, bedside, in the truck....etc to use whenever my eyes get dry. When severely dry my eye doctor suggested placing 2 drops in each eye every hour. This simple suggestion has helped tremendously and I can thread a needle in my machine without asking for help. Any preservative free eye drop for contact use will work but please don't use the Visine type drops, those cause a whole nother set of issues.