Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brand- or no-name replacement blades? >

Brand- or no-name replacement blades?

Brand- or no-name replacement blades?

Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 PM

I've tried all the blades (including resharpened and Harbor Freight), and stay with Olfa and Martelli blades. Both brands last a very, very long time unless I run over a pin.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:44 PM

I have switched to Harbor Freight blades and before I use them I run them through my electric sharpener. Best purchase I ever made. I have been on the same blade for 5 months now. I've sharpened it 5 or 7 times already and I think my mat is going to run dull before the blade. The blade sharpener was pricey, but worth every penny. http://www.walmart.com/ip/TrueSharp-...pener/17337903
Old 12-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Olfa blades only for me. Never, ever had a blade from Harbor Freight that could even cut through one layer of fabric (I've tried multiple packs and ALL blades were junk).

Anita
Old 12-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I use whatever I can get and never noticed any difference. maybe i'm just lucky
I have always bought my OLFA blades at JAF when they are on sale.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:03 PM

I buy Gingher blades. They're the best blades I've ever used and I've tried several brands. They're sharper to start with and stay sharp longer.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 PM

I have been disappointed in the Harbor Freight blades and the titanium ones. I just don't buy them anymore.

Dina
Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie View Post
I have switched to Harbor Freight blades and before I use them I run them through my electric sharpener. Best purchase I ever made. I have been on the same blade for 5 months now. I've sharpened it 5 or 7 times already and I think my mat is going to run dull before the blade. The blade sharpener was pricey, but worth every penny. http://www.walmart.com/ip/TrueSharp-...pener/17337903
I had no idea such a gadget existed... To bad christmas is just around the corner. I would have put one on my wish list!

I'm going to go for 5 noname blades from the UK. I have one spare Fiskars left... I've only had the Fiskars blades before and I'm really pleased with them. They last a long time... (more like a year actually)
Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 PM
QKO

We use Martelli (me) blades and Clover (she) blades for our shop cutting. The Martelli blades outlast the Clover blades by 5 or 6 to one. Olfa blades haven't done as well as Clover. And the Martelli blades get more use. I'll never use anything else again, they're well worth the premium price.

Never tried the titanium blades though.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 PM

This is a really helpful discussion! I used only Olfa blades until I tried some from Harbor Freight - but they were as dull as could be! I've used only Olfa since. Now y'all have opened my mind anew. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I'm going to go for 5 noname blades from the UK. I have one spare Fiskars left... I've only had the Fiskars blades before and I'm really pleased with them. They last a long time... (more like a year actually)
Be careful! I bought DAFA blades from eBay UK and despite stating that they would fit my Fiskars cutter - they didn't. They made my cutter seem as if it had a flat tyre..............

My Fiskars cutter's hole is a perfect circle, whereas Olfa and other blade centres are fluted. Perhaps your is different. The seller did, however, refund my money. Happy quilting.