Help identifying...

Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 PM

I wouldn't remove any paint. Just download the manual for a 66, since that is what it is.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
1. looks like a WW2 era "refurbish" done by dealers
2. there may still be numbers under the "paint"
3. it has a "revco reverser" add on (neat!!) (Kinda turns a 66 into a 99)
Steve is correct. I have found that the crinkle finish is not baked on like the Singer originals. I have a re-furbish and the finish is falling off.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Since no one has actually said it, the machine is a Singer model 66. It's been refurbed and updated some and painted with crinkle paint.
There is no model # label on this vintage of machine, just the serial number pad from which you can deduce the model # and the date of allotment.

I have one very similar also with the Revco Reverser.

Joe
Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

Woo Hoo! I got one right! (electric even!)
Old 12-12-2013, 12:35 PM

3. it has a "revco reverser" add on (neat!!) (Kinda turns a 66 into a 99)
Please explain?
I know what the revco reverser is, but why does it turn the full sized machine into the 3/4 sized machine?
I know my Centennial model 66 did have reverse...

I'm stuffed up today, and my brain's functioning at maybe half capacity, so I'm missing something, I know it.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Please explain?
I know what the revco reverser is, but why does it turn the full sized machine into the 3/4 sized machine?
I know my Centennial model 66 did have reverse...
No, it does not provide controlled miniaturization... hehe I simple meant that it turned a non-reversing to a reversing. I should have done more research into "modern" models before I made that flippant remark... as an 1800's collector in my mind "66's" were straight forward only, and "99's" were similar with reverse. I forgot completely about the size difference. live and learn.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 PM

No, it does not provide controlled miniaturization... hehe I simple meant that it turned a non-reversing to a reversing. I should have done more research into "modern" models before I made that flippant remark... as an 1800's collector in my mind "66's" were straight forward only, and "99's" were similar with reverse. I forgot completely about the size difference. live and learn.
Gotcha See, in my brain fog, I couldn't think of any other differences than "size". I couldn't remember if my 99s (most of them from the 20s) have had reverse or not, but I didn't think they did, hence my confusion. Well, that and a refusal to take something to help the cold that will likely make me stitch through a finger. Again.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 PM

MissRachel, I'm pretty much just parroting what I've learned from the site here. It was common around WWII or shortly after for sewing machine dealers to refurbish older treadle Singers. Singer often made them remove the badge because the machine was no longer as it left the factory. Your machine looks like that's what happened with it. The dealers modernised it with a new crinkle paintjob that was popular at the time, added the metal "Singer" badge, the motor and the reverser.
I actually kind of like the aftermarket reverser units though I haven't ran into one in person yet. As the others have said it is a refurbished model 66. I'm guessing almost any manual for a 66 would work. Go here for a free download:
http://www.singerco.com/accessories/...manuals/search

This will tell you when your machine was allocated for production if you have the serial#:
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...-database.html
I hope this helps,
Rodney
Old 12-18-2013, 05:45 AM

Thank you, Everyone! I haven't been able to get on here in several days and was surprised to see so many replies this morning! Thanks for all the information and I'll be downloading the manual later today! Thanks again!!