Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There's Something to Be Said For Tying a Quilt >

There's Something to Be Said For Tying a Quilt

There's Something to Be Said For Tying a Quilt

Old 12-17-2013, 06:20 PM

Some people make ties and leave the threads up to four inches long. I don't care for that, but if they like it, that's OK. I like my ties to be about an inch long.

The only time any ties of mine came apart was at a 4-H quilt camp where we were told to make the ties with pearl cotton. That stuff is too slippery and doesn't hold a knot. Less than a year later, I took that quilt that my granddaughter and I had made and put Fray Check on every knot, after many had been retied. The saddest part of this is: I had made another charity quilt at about the same time, tied it with the pearl cotton, and sent it to Kentucky to the missions there. I just want to go down there and fix it for them.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:35 PM

I have tied most of the great grand childrens quilts. They last and are very cuddly
Old 12-19-2013, 12:15 AM

It would be nice to see some pictures of tied quilts!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 AM

I am finishing up some Christmas quilts the same way!!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:46 PM

Would love to see some pictures of their tied quilts
Old 12-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
Does anyone know a method of hand-tying quilts where the ties don't end up so obvious? I realise that most of the time that's the look people want to go for, but sometimes you want the other advantages of tying (copes with thick batting, quick and easy) without the look of it.
I have seen tied quilts with the knots and ties on the back of the quilt instead of the front. I'm not sure how they did it though.

i am finishing up a patchwork quilt that I used the Moda Scrumptious line of fabrics. They have such a vintage look to them. I have been toying with how I am going to quilt it. Because it is a square in a square pattern, I was going to just do straight line echo quilting. I decided just today that I want to tie it. I think by tying it, I will keep the "vintage" feel to it. It will be gifted to our dog groomer who is just hippy dippy enough and has a great love for all things vintage and has amassed a great collection of vintage fabrics though she doesn't sew or quilt.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Some people make ties and leave the threads up to four inches long. I don't care for that, but if they like it, that's OK. I like my ties to be about an inch long.

The only time any ties of mine came apart was at a 4-H quilt camp where we were told to make the ties with pearl cotton. That stuff is too slippery and doesn't hold a knot. Less than a year later, I took that quilt that my granddaughter and I had made and put Fray Check on every knot, after many had been retied. The saddest part of this is: I had made another charity quilt at about the same time, tied it with the pearl cotton, and sent it to Kentucky to the missions there. I just want to go down there and fix it for them.
I use crochet thread, more specifically "Aunt Lydia's" cotton crochet thread. It comes in many colors. I have purchased it at Hobby Lobby and Joann's . I also use a surgeons knot and I've not had any come undone.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIyAy...%3DPeaIyAyg_cs
Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 PM

I'm behind too and was going to tie two quilts for my parents this weekend. I'm like you the thought of wrestling the quilts are not appealing! I usually tie the middles and quilt the borders with the machine. Show some pics!!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I use crochet thread, more specifically "Aunt Lydia's" cotton crochet thread. It comes in many colors. I have purchased it at Hobby Lobby and Joann's . I also use a surgeons knot and I've not had any come undone.
I'd wondered if anyone used a surgeon's knot and/or cotton crochet thread too! My worry is that I don't tie it densely enough. Some of my children's quilts made by their grandmother have bunched up batting in between the ties. No fun, snuggling with a lump.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
I'd wondered if anyone used a surgeon's knot and/or cotton crochet thread too! My worry is that I don't tie it densely enough. Some of my children's quilts made by their grandmother have bunched up batting in between the ties. No fun, snuggling with a lump.
I tie at minimum the width of my hand. I really prefer to use a batting with a scrim in it to help hold the batting together. I never use any batting that requires every 2-4" for quilting. If possible, I like to tie the 4 corners of my blocks but you really have to let your batting determine how near or far apart you tie.