Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay....I get it...I'm in love....With my Featherweight! >

Okay....I get it...I'm in love....With my Featherweight!

Okay....I get it...I'm in love....With my Featherweight!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I have 6 of these wonderful little beauties!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella View Post
Do you need to justify it? Here goes...
1....it is like having a beautiful painting on your wall...you don't have to use it...just admire the beauty of it...
2....it is like your fabric stash....do you need all that fabric...and will you use it all?...but isn't it nice it have???
3...You are worth it...treat yourself...
4...you can always sell it and you won't lose $$$
5...you only live once...

I have seven 221 featherweights...one 222 featherweight from England...one 99k...two 301 Singers and other old machines...I love them..don't really use them much...take the 222 to classes...and the others are on display...
Wonderful reasons, which I agree with, but you left out the most important one. It sews great! I have 6 -- 1 white, 1 tan, and 4 black (1936, 1950, 1952 and a Centennial). The white is my travel machine, and I take it with me, even when I take my Bernina to class. It usually lives in the trunk of my car and is with me wherever I go, just in case I need a machine. When I get my sewing room organized, the Centennial will be my display machine. The 1952 is my "birthday" machine. The serial number on that one was released on October 8, 1952, and I was born on December 5, 1952. I am seriously considering getting it painted (I know, FW purists will consign me to the depths for defacing it), so it will then become my travel machine and the white will be retired.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
i think all the time about getting my own, but I'm afraid it would not be used. I have a Janome 7700 and 3160 for class. I need some help on how I can justify it.
I always take my FW to classes and retreats, even if I take my Bernina. It never hurts to have a backup, just in case. I leave it in the trunk so it is easy to get to.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:05 AM

I want one, but it's not in the budget right now. Someday!!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I am just jealous of you all. I stopped on a whim yesterday (I really shouldn't do this) at a pawn shop. Just to see if they had any sewing machines. Low and behold I looked up (not what I wanted) and there was a Phoenix 83, German made. $60.00 with just about everything to it. It's still there and if it's still there after Christmas, I may go back. Just not what I really want. I really want to save my money for what I want. Oh well!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM

Enjoy your new toy!!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM

My daughter gave me a Featherweight to take to classes. It was not in prime condition and came with only one presser foot. That was fine with me. I've easily purchased the presser feet I need and extra bobbins. I love the fact that I can service it myself. It sews like a dream! I do all of my piecing on it now. In fact, I use it almost every day. Now, I wonder how I ever got along without it. I'm so glad you have a Featherweight!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:41 AM

I so love my Featherweights. I have three. One was my husband's grandmother's on his mother's side. Another was my husband's grandmother's on his father's side. The third I picked up in a shop that sells all sorts of stuff - sign outside reads "we buy junk, we sell antiques". I was actually looking for a table for my front porch that day and found the Featherweight back in a corner under some other stuff. I am so grateful that I have them and use them all the time. I have two homes so they are split between the two. Awesome machines!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 AM

I have a featherweight that had been my MIL's machine. She hated it because it wasn't big and heavy; it was brand new when I got it even though it had been purchased in 1960. It is well used now! I also have a Singer 401A that I purchased in 1959. I would give up my newer machines before I would give up these vintage machines. I really love them. I do like the newer ones-but...you know how it is!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:04 AM

I bought one and I like to look at it but have sewn on it about 2 times. I have 2 Janomes and I love the needle up and down and also the automatic thread cutter. I think the featherweight is cute but I like the conveniences of the new machines.