Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mug Rugs--what's the point? >

Mug Rugs--what's the point?

Mug Rugs--what's the point?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

my dh has his a jets one, I have two I rec'd in swaps. I like them, a plate i'd need to wash all the time, and I need something small to cover the area on my wood table when im on the comp.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:32 PM

Micro quilts?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:36 PM

A plate? I have to say, it has never and would never occur to me to use a plate to set a glass or mug on. I know they have teacups with matching plates but I've never used those. I'm a mug girl.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:30 AM

I went to Angie's opening of her new shop. We were having a drink and talking. I opened my mouth and said " we could do with some coasters" reply, "well you know what to do about it"
So next day I made 8 coasters 6 small and 2 larger. After 2 years of a wonderful shop and classes they are still going strong and used by people everyday except Sunday.
I have always had coasters about so have my family. My Niece of 25 uses them my sister in law 44 and my aunts 91.
Even the children look for them . Beer mats I greatly missed in pubs. Bring back good ideas.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:32 AM

A plate surely a saucer is the correct thing. If you have coffee at Weatherspoons they have different size saucers for the different size coffee cups. The middles are the different circle sizes.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:22 AM

I like them to protect my furniture, and because I just like the look of them. We have wall hangings, runners, toppers, they just tie everything else together!!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 AM

I think they're adorable, can be personalized, and I don't have to wash it after every used (like I would a plate).
Old 12-22-2013, 06:40 AM

They protect the table surface from spills and heat or condensation. A plate would be slippery and take up more space.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
They protect the table surface from spills and heat or condensation. A plate would be slippery and take up more space.
Plus if you get company and have your cup on a mug rug instead of a plate, it won't look like you left your dirty dishes sitting around. I like them to protect, not only against rings on the table but also the heat from a cup can cause damage. I just got a new table for my living room and as soon as the Christmas stuff is made, I'm making some. I'd rather have the mug rugs than coasters because usually the kids eat at the coffee table and I can put both drink and snack on it and save on paper towels or plates. Plus, they are absorbant so if there is a little spill you have something at hand to wipe it up with until you can get something to clean it. Plates, slip on the table and can scratch fine wood. And, yes, they are pretty
Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 AM

Plus with a mug rug you can control what it looks like. A plate or saucer lets you pick a color (to a point) but with a mug rug you can match it perfectly to your or the recipient's decor and switch them out for the seasons.

I have no mug rugs but now i think I will make a few for our own house.