Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone turned kitchen table into cutting room >

Has anyone turned kitchen table into cutting room

Has anyone turned kitchen table into cutting room

Old 12-21-2013, 04:22 PM

I have a "sewing table" which is 70 x 30. On one end I have a cutting mat which is 24 x 36. On the other end i have a pressing mat which is 18 x 24. I have never needed a larger cutting surface, but sure like the ease of using this large surface for sandwiching my quilts or even laying out fabric sometimes.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:42 PM

I use my kitchen table in the eat-in kitchen as my cutting table. The table is about the same size as yours. My mat is 24 by 36 and that has been adequate. I can see that a larger mat would give you lots of options that my smaller mat doesn't permit, so if you have room for the larger one and the money to pay for it, go for it! froggyintexas
Old 12-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by karensue View Post
Okay thanks for all the replies
looks like hubby just had a different idea for me he doesn't like the idea now of me during the table thinks ill just kinda " junk it up" either stuff underneath so he has come up with new idea
I can give the local kitchen design place make me one. He is thinking 2 cabinets side by died on each side so I will then have 4cabinets with doors to hide my stuff
he was thinking 36 wide by 48 long and I am clueless to correct height. (I am 5'w2")?.??
any more suggestions as to going this route. He said I can also have wheels on bottom in case I want to move it
karensue
The cabinets are a good idea and have been used by many. There is a special forum on this board "Mission: Organization" with pictures and tips on all kinds of sewing room furniture & organization. You can access it from the home menu. As far as the height is concerned, I would actually do a bit of cutting on different surfaces in your house to see which one is most comfortable. I'm also 5'2" and like my kitchen island which is 36" high. Remember to add in the height of the wheels when ordering the cabinets and make sure the wheels have locks.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:47 AM

I use my dining room table. The room is almost never used and out of the way so I don't feel the need to clean up often. I have never thought of putting the table on risers. I wonder of bed risers would work?
Old 12-22-2013, 03:51 AM

Have found that the ping pong table that sits on top of the pool table is a great place to put a cutting mat...not to mention the look on dh's face when I start cutting fabric !!!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:55 AM

Pop this into google search:

custom cutting mats self healing

you will find many companies that make custom size cutting mats
Old 12-22-2013, 06:33 AM

Very interesting. My whole dining room is taken over by my sewing passion. I use the dining room table to cut on and sew on. When it's time to eat I clear off a portion for hubby and I to have a meal. Both of the spare bedrooms are now nearly full of sewing things, material, batting, sewing machines, etc. and the family room downstairs also houses a number of my sewing machine collection as well as the garage.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Regular table height is too low for cutting and I"m 5' 2". Your back can't take it, trust me. If you put the table on bed risers it would be much better for cutting. I have a long drop leaf kitchen table in my sewing room. It's a great lay- out table and Elmer's glue basting table. I found the rive foot long cutting mats at Tuesday Mornings for $30. It fits perfectly on the table when both ends are up so I leave the table at full length. And it makes a great gift wrapping station for Christmas time. You can never have enough raised flat surfaces in your sewing room so don't pass up a table.
I'm 5'10" and use the highest place I can find to cut---in this house, it's the kitchen counters----and they are still too low. Whatever you do, get the height right for YOU!!!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 AM

I bought a clearance table and use it for my cutting tablet. We found wooden bed risers that just happened to match the color of the table. My DH screwed them onto the bottom of the legs and I stained the bottoms to match. It works great. I currently using it without leaves and store stuff under it.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:41 AM

I did make my kitchen table the sewing table, but I added blocks to raise it to counter height. I have a friend who is quite a bit taller than me (5'10") and she thinks it's still too short, so just make sure it is good working height for you.