Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polyester batting, is it ok to use? >

Polyester batting, is it ok to use?

Polyester batting, is it ok to use?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I'm getting ready to try fleece as a batting. The sales and coupons brought the price down to $1.99 per yard, and I'm thinking that since it is a fabric, it may shift less than regular poly batting. We'll see.
I'm really curious to see how this goes! Please post about it when you're done! I was fingering some fleece the other day and thinking it would be a nice batting. How closely do you think it would need to be quilted? I like to quilt as sparsely as possible but no idea how forgiving fleece might be for that. I suppose it wouldn't be prone to bunching as much as batting would be... You've got me thinking again, lol.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I have started using Fairfield 80/20 batting for most of my utility quilts. I buy it at Walmart. It is inexpensive and is very good batting.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:29 AM

I use this batting almost all the time.
I like the way it hand quilts.
I like the way it puffs.

I like the price.

I have hand NO complaints from recipients.

I guess I just like everything about it.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 AM

Of course it's ok. I use the polyester batting most of the time because I like the higher loft. And I like less quilting, which the polyester batting allows. There are just a few cases where the cotton batting is really needed- the hospital wants all cotton for premie quilts.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=charsuewilson;6469073]Of course it's ok. I use the polyester batting most of the time because I like the higher loft. And I like less quilting, which the polyester batting allows. There are just a few cases where the cotton batting is really needed- the hospital wants all cotton for premie quilts.[/QUOTE

Then do what they want.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:12 AM

I use Hobbs Polydown for all of my Community quilts and my baby, kid and college quilts. All of these usually have hard use and frequent washes and the Polydown quilts easily and washes and wears well. It dries more quickly and is much less expensive than 80/20 or other cotton batting. Many people like the lightness and the warmth provided. For me it is a great batting choice and I buy it by the 30 yard roll.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by yel View Post
i quilt some charity quilts and we use it all...had someone donate a whole roll of fleece works great don't have to quilt so close .....but we use what we have ....flannel,/fleece/ cotton/ poly /wool
How closely did you quilt the fleece?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:54 PM
SSK

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I'm getting ready to try fleece as a batting. The sales and coupons brought the price down to $1.99 per yard, and I'm thinking that since it is a fabric, it may shift less than regular poly batting. We'll see.
A friend of mine just backed a quilt with fleece. She is not a happy camper. It stretched when being quilted and is still stretching as she uses it.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:59 PM
SSK

Originally Posted by SSK View Post
A friend of mine just backed a quilt with fleece. She is not a happy camper. It stretched when being quilted and is still stretching as she uses it.
OOPS I thought you said backing. Sorry. I do wonder how it would be for batting.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

boy, I hope so, since I've been using polyester & poly blend batts for 40 years. polyester battings hold up well and are a good choice for 'utility quilts' (quilts that will be dragged around, laundered often- used, used, used) so a good choice for many charities.