Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton Batting >

Cotton Batting

Cotton Batting

Old 12-22-2013, 12:22 PM

I use warm and natural, it's convenient to get and the price is reasonable.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 PM

Whatever you try to use, keep notes. I have learned this the hard way. I have used Quilters Dream, Warm & Natural, Hobbs 80/20 and Theramore. I have no idea what is in each quilt. Some I like, some I don't like. So now I take notes on what's in what.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:38 PM

I'm still working through a roll of warm and natural that I ordered from Joann's on line when it was 50% off. I got the 90 in width.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 PM

I think it also depends on how many quilts you are making. At the speed I complete a top (that would be "not fast")and the amount of money and effort i have in it, it seems silly not to use Quilter's Dream. OTOH, if you are prolific with charity quilts, i'd use W&N. I think the two feel completely different. Harriet Hargrave says that W&N was designed as window shade insulation, and, to me, that's about what it feels like.

If you need to buy it at Joann's, I'd consider one of the other types they carry. Hobbs products are well-regarded.

QD does come in a roll (I've seen it at a LQS), but I'd expect it's pretty pricey.

Hugs,
charlotte
Old 12-22-2013, 11:40 PM

I like 80/20. Good price and the best of both worlds.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:03 AM

I agree with the others that have suggested making some notes and trying different brands/types of batting to find your preference. I use W&N, have no issues with it and hand quilt it. But that's me. Since you're new to the quilting world, like many other things, you'll find what works for you. And you'll probably find your tastes/styles change over the years.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I recommend you try several battings first and figure out what you like before you spend money on a whole roll. I personally wouldn't use Warm and Natural if I got it free. Make sure you like a batting enough to use a whole roll before you put the money into it.
Exactly what I was thinking!!

Batting on the roll will be on sale again, some-where, some time. In the mean time if you've not worked with very many battings try as many as you can and see what you like first then the next time a roll sale of a batting you know you like comes along, snatch it up.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:26 AM

I like the warm and natural, but beware, if you are doing a predominately white quilt you will want to use warm and white. The natural will show through!