Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a quilt diary? >

Do you keep a quilt diary?

Do you keep a quilt diary?

Old 12-22-2013, 04:44 PM

I bought some software that catalogs my pictures and descriptions. I like it okay. Right now it is only on my computer in my sewing studio. I plan on printing each page, so I can have a hard copy to share with people. I only started doing this a couple of years ago. I'm sorry to say I don't have all my quilts in my history saved.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:12 PM

I have pictures of most of my quilts but I sure wish I had written about each one while doing them. So many things would be helpful in the future. How did the batting, thread, etc...behave. Mistakes I made and how I fixed them. Settings on the machine that worked well or not so well. I need to start journaling with the quilts I am now working on, even though I haven't thus far!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Another thing I include in my journal is "projects I hope to make". This can be just a generic thought: an applique design or specific: name of quilt/block from magazine (issue #, date and page) or book.

Anita
Old 12-23-2013, 01:21 AM

I have a notebook with pictures and how I make the quilt, dates (and I can see how long could take to finish them!) changes of the original project, technical things like thread color, etc I have pictures and files in my computer, but I prefer the paper and the pictures in my hands. I also have a big notebook with big pictures (A4) and the story about the quilt, why I made it, for whom, how I felt making it. It’s like a journal, but more specific.
Happy New Year and Happy Holidays!
Patricia
Old 12-23-2013, 08:26 AM

I use Evernote. An app that is available on all my computers, tablets and phone. This app allows me to take pictures in the store of the fabric bolt end with all the info on it in case I need more! I allows me to sore pitcures during construction and finished. I can note all details like threads colors , time involved, etc.
Another reason I use it is I dont have to have a quilt pattern with me when I shop. I simply take a picture of the quilt picture on the front of the pattern and the yardage required. I can then have it with me when I shop! EASY! If I buy for that quilt pattern I take a picture of that end of the bolt and store it under the name of the pattern.
Since this is a 'cloud' based app, I dont fear losing it.

Cindy in TN
Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 AM

I do have a journal related to each sewing machine. It helps know what the newest needle is, what was sewn on that machine, and when it was serviced. ALSO I take photos of my quilts and put them on my computer. But it would be nice to have a running list of when/what/who/why/where along with a photo. I'll have to think on that.
Thanks for all the great ideas in this posting.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Haven't done a lot of quilts but I have a Pinterest page with all the things I've made. Not up to date though since the stuff for Xmas isn't there yet.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM

Hi there, I don't keep a journal per se, but I do take pictures of each quilt I make and give. I make less than ten a year or so, and this part is easy. I also take pictures of each block I make for swaps, just for fun.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:55 AM

I use Power Point on my computer, which easily allows me to put the photo(s) of the front and back, and type in any information I want to refer to later; date, size, batting, difficulty, etc. I like to be able to look at my quilts as a slide show. I also can see how I've improved over time, and to make repeats in different colors of my favorites. I exclusively (very few exceptions) make baby quilts for charity - which I package with a homemade layette for the poorest young mothers (mostly unwed) here in Mexico.

Last edited by Barbwork; 12-23-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:11 PM

I did yearly journals through the late 90's early 00's.
Started as a place to keep track of how many hours I put into a self designed whole cloth quilt (400+ quilting hours)
I put cards from shops in, catalog rip-outs of quilts, quilt show stuff, mini-group notes, they were colorful and fun to look through

Then I decided I wanted to know how much I spent on quilting in a year. Can't remember now but it was more than I would have guessed.
I kept track of my time making the Dear Jane quilt. That journal is on the DJ electric quilt software (along with toid tins and my double sided DJ)

I quit buying fabric in 2001, and started scrap quilting and any journaling now is done with fabric on the working wall.
I had all my quilt pictures stored on Webshots. I did get them downloaded before webshots disappeared, but what a mess the download was, no albums no names just miles of long numbers.