Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pins- Is it just me? >

Pins- Is it just me?

Pins- Is it just me?

Old 12-23-2013, 07:05 AM

I made myself a hand pincushion - similar to a wrist pincushion but it fits around my hand rather than on my wrist - the pins seem easier to access for me - it is a long (covers almost the width of my hand - firmly stuffed pincushion with "casing" - just an extra flap of material on the bottom - ran a piece of wide elastic measured to fit my hand through it & sewed the elastic ends together. Not my idea - I took a tailoring class at least 40 years ago & the instructor showed us this idea. For me it is much ore convenient than the one on the wrist. I use this for straight pins - safety pings I just dump in a pile - lol. I use leaders on my (hand) quilting frame & baste the quilt to the leaders
Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 AM

I use a flat (about 2 inch thick) piece of Styrofoam about 12 inches long. It holds a lot of pins for pinning on my longarm. I was having problems with pins too and one day I was unpacking something and saw a nice piece of Styrofoam. So I've used it ever since. Well I have replaced it from time to time. When I unpack things I keep the pieces that I think I'll use and when they are heavily worn just toss it and have a new one.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 AM

I put pins all along the leaders on the frame so they are right at hand.

Last edited by LITTLEOLDME; 12-23-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 AM

Love my wrist pin cushion!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 08:14 AM

Like mentioned above I also stuck myself when using the small wrist pin cushion. So I took one of the large tomato pin cushions, attached some wide elastic to it and use in on my hand. It's really handy and holds a ton of pins.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:32 AM

Thumbs up

I don't know if this would help pinning to a frame since I don't use one, but here is the pincushion I made after years of lousy store bought ones, a few awful ones I made, I hit on the idea of making one out of wool. I started with a 14 inch circle of wool, some raw wool I got from a kind member of the board, and some sand that I sewed into a double layered bag for the bottom. I hand sewed a running stitch around the outside of the circle, put the sand bag inside, added enough wool to stuff it, and drew the thread up tight. I put a big yoyo on the top, that I stitched down very securely, and put a button on top and stitched it through to the bottom so the bottom would be flat. I Love it, and no dull pins! The finished pin cushion is 6 inches across and about three inches deep, and can double as a pattern weight.

I like this larger size since I always use extra long pins for everything.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	452971  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 AM

Use more than one pin cushion.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

I found some things around the house that could be used and made 2 pin cushions. The smaller one (cut glass jar without a top) sits at my sewing machine for a quick pin. The larger one (Hand painted hanging pot for a plant but never could bring myself to put dirt in it) sits where I pin my quilts (when not using safety pins) and holds enough for me to do a quilt.

I put some batting scraps inside a piece of material and pinned it at the bottom. Works great for me. :-)