Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing straighter on a FW, tips please! >

Sewing straighter on a FW, tips please!

Sewing straighter on a FW, tips please!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 AM

I got a little appliance that screws onto the fw.. t o guide for a better seam. Can't remember where I got it, but go to;
Glen Williams, 221-222-301 Parts. He seems to have everything for fw's.
Good luck!
Mariah
Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 AM

The only thing I can say is my own experience. I have found that on any machine, If I try to sew fast, I get very uneven seams. if I slow me and the machine down some, my seams are always much straighter. I guess I just have to slow down for my head, hands and machine to do a good job together. Being done faster only makes me more frustrated with the results. I hope this helps you too!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 AM

Grannie's expression for the above posting used to be "haste makes waste" and that is true for me. I never could get "production" when I was working in a sewing factory--I just told my boss I wasn't fast, I was good.....
Old 12-20-2013, 11:09 AM

All these tips help I love my singers 401A and FW..especially FW! a guide that works for you is essential.. the sites give such good advice.. until I got on them and adjusted, cleaned, oiled according to how I needed it to work I had some challenges with straight seems. I now use very light finger on material, guiding against a fewt thicknesses of tape and watching my foot placement, as I sew as fast as the machine will run..love it!
Wanted to try some of the new machines...the ones I have tried did not last and didn't make as nice a seam..but would be nice to have for labels etc. Hope you find what works for you!!
Old 12-20-2013, 11:33 AM

I would check the feed dogs. Remove them and clean underneath and reinstall. The screws could also be loose on them. I had this problem with one of my fw's.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:15 PM

Absolutely, I love her and her monthly newsletter. Have also bought things from her.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:18 PM

I wish I knew the proper name for you, but I purchased a small plastic plate and it screws onto the base. I get a perfect 1/4" seam.

Another option is to buy "mole skin", you find it in the foot care section of stores. Find the perfect 1/4" point, and place a piece of the mole skin across the bed. Your fabic would lay right beside it as you stitch. It is raised, so the fabric doesn't jump over the top.

Enjoy that 221, you'll never regret its purchase
Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
I got a little appliance that screws onto the fw.. t o guide for a better seam. Can't remember where I got it, but go to;
Glen Williams, 221-222-301 Parts. He seems to have everything for fw's.
Good luck!
Mariah
novamontgomery.com is where you can purchase the Seam Guide that screws onto the FW. She has other items for the FW plus a Monthly Tip on FWs........with index for past tips. Very helpful.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

AlaskaAlice, the adhesive on tape can damage the finish on vintage machines. (Tape is fine on newer, plastic cover machines.) You might want to switch to a mechanical guide that screws into the base.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by trivia42 View Post
Is your fabric supported or hanging of the edge of a table? I have noticed that anything I sew on any of my machines is going to pull "out" when I don't have support on the fabric. I suppose you could also look at your presser foot pressure if you feel like things are sliding too much, just don't ratchet it down so things don't feed. I've never had any other weirdness with regards to feed on my FW.
If you adjust the presser foot pressure, a good place to start is 1/4 inch of space from the underside of the knob you turn, to the top of the machines arm.