Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What do you know about the 401A Singer card tables? >

What do you know about the 401A Singer card tables?

What do you know about the 401A Singer card tables?

Old 12-26-2013, 06:44 PM

Default What do you know about the 401A Singer card tables?

I recently got a card table that fits the 401A Singer sewing machine. I already asked Joe, and he doesn't have any info on them. Can you imagine Joe not knowing something about the Singers?!!! Neither can I!!!. So....I'm putting this out for all of the rest of you. I bought what a friend thought was a FW table, but found that it wouldn't fit in it, but that it is one for the 401A Singer sewing machine that was given to me a couple of years ago. I'm wondering if I over paid for it. I paid $100.00 for it. It is sturdy and there is just one little dark mark from a glass or drink on it. Does anyone else have one, and do you know if they are plentiful or are a little scarcer item. Any information you can give me will help.
Thanks,
Janis
Old 12-27-2013, 01:55 AM

If you got a FW table for $100, I'd have said you did very good. If you had got the 301 long bed table, it would still have been a decent deal. The one you have is probably the one that sells for the least of the three - but $100 for it is still not outrageous. BTW- it also fits the 301 short bed.

It really has nothing to do with rarity- it has to do with there being a lot of people that want a table for a FW, and not many that want any of the others. So even though the FW tables are the most common, they also typically sell for the most $$$. The rarest is the one that fits a full size bentwood case bottom - but they don't have much market except to collectors.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:04 AM

I have one. Mine is the Singer Folding Table #316, called the “Monterey”, but I don’t know what they sell for these days. I got mine from my Grandmother, along with her Singer 404. She bought them new in 1959. Some of the stains on mine were probably put there by me when I was a kid. Grandma always set the folding table up (along with a card table or two) for the kids to eat their meal at when she hosted family get-togethers that used to be frequent back in those days.

It’s shown here with my Singer 403A in it. Strangely enough, I don’t have a photo of it with her 404 in it. I keep forgetting to get that photo......

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine27c_11.jpg
Views:	4664
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	453375  
Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 AM

My table looks like yours thayerRags. The only differences, and the end of the tav is that it has a dark water or whatever mark on it, and the right end of the cut-out is straight, and doesn't have the extra little notch out that yours has. I wonder why the difference between the two tables.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 AM

my Singer 401 A is in it's original cabinet that I bought with it.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:14 AM

I have two of them and prices are subjective like machines. If you feel comfortable with the price and you can afford it then enjoy it.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by LITTLEOLDME View Post
my Singer 401 A is in it's original cabinet that I bought with it.
Photos?

Here’s what my wife’s home Singer 401A was mounted in (her shop one is on an 8-foot long table). She’s now put her Singer 301A in it, and has her 401A in a small cabinet next to it. It’s the Singer #430 “Profile Three-way Sewing Desk” used for teachers in school classrooms.

CD in Oklahoma

Name:	Machine414C_15.jpg
Views:	2801
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	453394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine414C_12.jpg
Views:	2789
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	453395  
Old 12-27-2013, 08:39 AM

CD I really like that table. I've never seen one in person, but have noticed a few come up for sale on CL. I think I may have to add to my want list. I'm also on the hunt for a table (not made by Singer) that has the cut out and it fits 15 and clones in their bottom cases. It would be nice to have one table with insert that fits all my case machines.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:10 AM

There was originally a tub that slid in on tracks on the left end (for books?), but it was missing when we got ahold of it. My wife does FMQing on it, since it has a 43 1/4” x 37 1/2” top surface when folded out, (which it stays that way all of the time). It makes a great junk collector too! (You know how it is, the more room we have, the more crap we can put in it....). She seems to always have to clean it off before starting another quilting session on it.

I like your idea of a big table for placing portables in interchangeably. I haven’t bumped into one of those yet, but it sounds like a good idea. I hope you find one!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-27-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
There was originally a tub that slid in on tracks on the left end (for books?), but it was missing when we got ahold of it. My wife does FMQing on it, since it has a 43 1/4” x 37 1/2” top surface when folded out, (which it stays that way all of the time). It makes a great junk collector too! (You know how it is, the more room we have, the more crap we can put in it....). She seems to always have to clean it off before starting another quilting session on it.

I like your idea of a big table for placing portables in interchangeably. I haven’t bumped into one of those yet, but it sounds like a good idea. I hope you find one!

CD in Oklahoma
The photo is a bit small, but this is the table I'm hunting for. Someone about an hour from me had one, but I passed on it because of the drive combined with the fact that the insert was missing. But, I think it's a table that would really come in handy. I don't have a clue who the manufacturer was, but I don't think it was Singer.

Name:	antique folding sewing table - Google Search.jpg
Views:	2602
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	453397