Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt? >

Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt?

Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt?

Old 12-26-2013, 06:34 PM

Thank you all I never thought to fuse appliqué it.. That's better than my idea. Lol. And my center points did match before I put the triangles.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 PM

lb - i have done many lone stars...can u take a close up pic of the center...it looks like the white is not placed correctly in all the 'sections'...if your wanting to make a go of this...you may have to take some sections out...i inset all my sections..when sewing i stop just shy of 1/4 inch and back stitch to set...then place the next section...again, starting 1/4" in from the unfinished edge...never sew to the end unless its the outside edge...also, when sewing the diamonds, i do use a little spray starch on the backside to stabilize..it cuts down the wonky...and i do iron open any seam i can..setting with steam...monica in texas
Old 12-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Banned

Cannot speculate about what went wrong unless you describe each step and how they were done. Go back and analyze with the instructions. From the picture it appears that both the cutting and piecing was not accurate.

Last edited by Holice; 12-26-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:59 PM

I'd chalk it up to a learning experience,and say good bye to it for now. Go work on something that makes you happy.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:06 PM

I had similiar problem yesterday with my centre.
Look carefully at the centre in my case the seams and points did not match up. After so every crafty re positioning and sewing seams at base here is the result. How did mine happen . I forgot I was moving needle one notch to the right to make a scant 1/4" .
Will hopefully be quilting today.

First picture , the finished alterations
Second ". , before I started looks just like yours. I did alter before putting squares and triangles on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	453361   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1429
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	453362  
Old 12-27-2013, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

I would take the 8 sections apart then sew them back together in pairs, starting in the center- pin at each *match point* stitch from center out = press seam open; once all are in pairs then line up & pin at each match point 2 pairs - again starting in the center & sewing out- so you will have 2 halves. when you go to put the 2 halves together again start in the center- match each *match point & pin from center out to one side, stitch *from center out* then turn it over and pin, match points- from center out to other side and stitch...it may take more time but the final results are worth the extra work.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 AM

I just saw your other post looking for a tute on trimming. Your star sections look perfect in that post so not quite sure where the wonky came into play for the center section. I would do as ckcowl states and (unfortunately) start ripping and re-sew in pairs. Do lots of pressing with lots of starch as all those bias edges can get out of control very easily.

I put a pin vertically through EACH intersection and then one flat on either side of the vertical pin before removing. Do that for each intersection as I come to it. And I agree with pressing seams open, especially on this one. Makes the center MUCH flatter to work with down the road.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:24 AM

Did you happen to use two different presser foots? I was once in the middle of a block and needed to purchase a new presser foot. The person who sold me the presser foot wasn't a quilter and sold me the 1/4" presser foot. Little did she and I know that there was a 1/4" quilting presser foot. I had mentioned that I was a quilter/piecer. When I finished the block certain portions were way smaller than others, yet I had made many already that came out perfect.

Without seeing a closer pic of the center, I can't even guess what happened there. Sorry that you're having such a difficult time. You will overcome this.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:29 AM

Is going to be such a lovely quilt that I'd hate to see you give up on it. That said, the only way to fix the center is to take the sections apart and carefully put them together again. I'd do them two at a time, each quadrant if you will, lining those intersecting seams very carefully. Then two sections into halves, etc.
You've chosen lovely fabric, and it looks like everything is pretty good up until the sections were put together, so I'm sure you can fix it , irritating as taking all those seams out well be, and it will be stunning!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:34 AM

Want to encourage you to figure out how to fix it - the star is BEAUTIFUL!!! Also want to give a thumbs up for trying this - it skeers me!

I wonder what would happen if after checking the star - making sure that it is all lined up like it should be, then put the star on your flannel board - and add the brown pieces cut individually to make sure that everything stays smooth. It is definitely fudging it, but you might fool the eye.