Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drop stitch length to zero? >

Drop stitch length to zero?

Drop stitch length to zero?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by grandmaof3 View Post
I have a Babyloclk Grace machine and am learning to FMQ on it. My question is about how long did it take for all of you to get your stitches regulated.? i keep practicing but so far my stitches aren' spaced even and the back side doesn't look to great either. Looks like eyelashes on back. i have tried with feed dogs down and up. I bought a slider but to my idea that isn't slick enough. I still have some drag. Anyone have ideas on what to use instead of a slider?
The eyelashes are due to tension issues. That's what I'm trying to avoid by leaving the feed dogs up. When I drop with the feed dogs I have to play a lot with the tension and it still has issues.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Why don't you want to drop the feed dogs for FMQ? Maybe if you did this the stitch length will go to zero. I know nothing about this machine but as far as FMQ goes you drop the dogs so the material can move freely.

Just curious.
peace
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM

The BSR attachment on my Bernina will not function with the feeddogs up. I love this feature and am wondering where I can purchase the Slippery thing someone mentioned. How is it possible to move fabric around with the feeddogs grabbing the fabric?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

I have a Baby Lock Espire and when I set the stitch length way low, I can only make teeny tiny angry stitches. I have to set the stitch length to 5 or so in order to get good control of the stitches. I do drop my feed dogs though.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 PM

My Babylock Quest used to only reduce to .2, but after the mother board went out (under warranty) and was replaced, it now goes to 0. I FMQ all the time, with the feed dogs down, no change to the stitch length, and with a hopping foot with a spring. It's not the foot that came with the machine, but one that I purchased.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 AM

Because of the free motion foot...it has a spring in it so it "hops"...so unlike a regular foot , it is not always in contact with the fabric...it jumps up, then down again, as fast as the stitches go..so the fabric can move ...
the slippery thing is a "supreme slider"...just google it, they are for sale everywhere.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by grandmaof3 View Post
I have a Babyloclk Grace machine and am learning to FMQ on it. My question is about how long did it take for all of you to get your stitches regulated.? i keep practicing but so far my stitches aren' spaced even and the back side doesn't look to great either. Looks like eyelashes on back. i have tried with feed dogs down and up. I bought a slider but to my idea that isn't slick enough. I still have some drag. Anyone have ideas on what to use instead of a slider?
I just bought a grace and started using it for MQ. I found that if I dropped the dogs, left the stitch length at 2.5, and adjusted the tension to 7, it worked well.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Sometimes I like to have the feed dogs up while machine quilting, as I feel I get better control of my quilting. I will still be using the free-motion quilting foot. I am able to set my stitch length to 0. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to but hope you can figure it out.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Happystitcher View Post
The BSR attachment on my Bernina will not function with the feeddogs up. I love this feature and am wondering where I can purchase the Slippery thing someone mentioned. How is it possible to move fabric around with the feeddogs grabbing the fabric?
My Bernina works with the feed dogs up while using the BSR. I set my stitch length at 2.5 or 3.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Ditto. Stitch length really doesn't matter because you will be moving the fabric around not the machine.