Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
VIEW FROM MY SEWING ROOM after the storm >

VIEW FROM MY SEWING ROOM after the storm

VIEW FROM MY SEWING ROOM after the storm

Old 12-28-2013, 07:48 AM

I so feel for you. We were fortunate to only be without power for 5 hours. But we also have a gas fireplace and range so we had no hardship.
I had an email from Germany from some friends who wanted to know if it was as bad as the new reports said, So I showed them. There are still parts of Wellington county without power.
The temp has risen and the ice is falling from my trees. Your birch has a great chance of recovering as it looks to be very young and therefore flexible. It may be bend a bit.
If you have the energy, I'd add some support after the ice has gone so the next storm doesn't bend it all out of shape.
Remind your self why we live in this "God Forsaken Country". Ha
MaryKatherine
Old 12-28-2013, 08:12 AM

we had our ice storm come through the first week of December....We live in rural Arkansas and while the town nearest us lost their power for a couple days we never did lose ours...we were prepared as we have a wood stove that we use all winter for heat and can certainly cook on it, as well as a LP gas cook stove..we were even able to have a couple stay with us a couple days that lost their power and had no backup...it was beautiful but we are still cleaning up the mess from all the broken limbs and trees...oh well good for the woodstove!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
What a beautiful picture.

Would you mind terribly if I saved your photo?

I absolutely love pictures of trees. Especially ones free of leaves in the dead of winter. Something about them that is just so peaceful.
Me too. I love seeing trees without their leaves. They are so beautiful.

Hope you have power back on by now Tellabella. Would not want to be without that. Beautiful picture.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:36 PM

Beautiful picture but so sorry you lost power for so long.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
Me too. I love seeing trees without their leaves. They are so beautiful.

Hope you have power back on by now Tellabella. Would not want to be without that. Beautiful picture.

Here are a few more pics...feel free to save....Last night the trees were crackling and they sounded like crystal chandelier trees..l
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	453620   Click image for larger version

Views:	516
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	453621   Click image for larger version

Views:	528
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	453622   Click image for larger version

Views:	525
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	453623   Click image for larger version

Views:	528
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	453624  

Old 12-28-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
The longest we were without power was 4 days during an ice storm
Our neighbor had a wood stove to cook on and made a huge pot of chili...
in the low light she put cinnamon in instead of chili power. We were happy to get Anything warm, but have teased her ever since.

Really makes you appreciate how good we have it! Do you have a treadle or hand crank? Wonder for these type of inforced hermithood
on the first day without power...last Sunday it was not freezing cold out...I have a gas BBQ so I used that to cook...FIRST I had to try to get the FROZEN cover off and I did that by taking the end of my rake which I found in the backyard and cracked off all the frozen ice....I have a side burner so I thought it would be easy but that was going out on me with the wind....so I had to use the main BBQ for boiling water for tea....wrapped up the handles on the pots with foil and that helped...made eggs, bacon...toast...then I found a small roast in the fridge and decided to wrap it up and cook that too...my sons were laughing at me but of course they did enjoy the brunch..we went to my sisters for dinner...next day was FREEZING outside so no way I was going to go cook outside...nights were cold by we have,a,gas fireplace in basement and it was warm done there...upstairs we had the wood burning fireplace and that was burning the entire time...

it was an experience for sure...finally on the third day (Christmas Eve) my son called me..I was at my sisters cooking dinner...to tell me we got our power back...my brother went another two days without power...

It is paralyzing without power...we sure take it for granted..hope we don't see that again for a LONG time...

oh, and no treadle or hand crank...makes me want to go out and get one...
Old 12-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

My longest indoor camping excursion was 9 days. Huge Oak tree hung over my house and DH and I stood out in the yard waiting and watching for it to break through our roof. It was during the 2011 Halloween snow storm. We were lucky that day, it didn't happen.

Hope everyone is soon back on the grid and thank you to all the people who do the very dangerous work of making it happen.
peace
Old 12-28-2013, 04:26 PM

That picture looks like it could have been taken from my window. Fortunately, we live in a senior park and our electricity was restored after 6 hours. It is truly devastating for so many who are till without power after a whole week of this. And how sad it is to look outside and see the beauty in it. Especially when the sun shines on the ice making it look like glass. I do feel bad for you who are still living without , just know it's... c o m i n g....!
Old 12-29-2013, 01:01 AM

Pretty picture.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Being without power is not fun, I know, but the view from inside is beautiful.