Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first project idea's or pattern needed >

first project idea's or pattern needed

first project idea's or pattern needed

Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome.....I'm with Rodney...never overlook thrift stores and libraries for quilting resources. Maybe a tablerunner would be a good starting point. Anyway keep us posted and sing out if you hit a problem..there's always a helping hand here on the QB.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 PM

Look in Amazon for kindle books.also watch some utubes and you can get free online patterns.
I purchased Lynne Edwards first book. She makes a selection of different blocks with fantastic instructions. I did mine by hand but you can convert to machine. There are plenty of pictures. Found her first easier than later ones.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:36 PM

The easiest quilt pattern I have used was an single Irish chain. Half of the blocks are pieced 9 patch, the rest are just plain squares. The double Irish chain looks cool too, but it is a little more difficult as a beginner. IMHO try "googling single Irish chain.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:29 AM

I would start with MSQCo"s youtube videos and Craftsys free BOM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:50 AM

Another great place to start is Quilter's Cache. She has tons of block patterns and some are very easy. Good luck on your first project and remember it is addictive. lol
Sue
Old 12-29-2013, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
i suggest you go back to Joann's and get a very basic beginners quilting book. Instructions in print will be helpful to get you started.
Agree completely and let me add...cutting mat, rotary cutter, a few rulers......also many tutes on YouTube to give you visual lessons.......like Missouri star quilt company

Use the KISS theory to begin with!!!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:46 AM

Your fabric is beautiful! I think a single irish chain pattern would really show it off nicely...and it's a very easy pattern. Here is a good tutorial for that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHfIXnk_W4A

Another possibility is a Disappearing 4-patch. Here's a good tutorial for that: http://video.fonsandporter.com/video...r-patch-quilt/

When I first started quilting, I bought books, but I found that I prefer online tutorials whenever they are available. Good luck, and there are a lot of people here who are willing to help if you have questions!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Welcome aboard.
I guess I'm a cheapskate when it comes to books. I love to read but I hate to pay full retail for the priveledge.
Your local library is an excellent resource for quilt books and magazines. If you prefer to own them try your local thrift stores. It's rare when I can't find at least one book on sewing or quilting in one. They're usually a bit older but it doesn't really matter. Many quilt patterns have been around for years anyway. You can occasionally find some good fabrics in the thrift stores as well.
Rodney
you know for some reason i didnt even think of the library lol thanks!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:49 AM

I would suggest maybe a couple of classes at a LQS. That is how I started out and got hooked into quilting! I took a class for a sampler quilt every Saturday for 6 weeks. You can learn many different blocks to make and alot of helpful hints from other ladies too. Also, the people on this QB are so helpful and willing to give suggestions or help you find anything you ask for. I have been very fortunate in getting help.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:52 AM

hrmom26, you are going to love quilting! All the advice is good. Do get a cutting mat, rotary cutter and ruler. A major key to success and minimal stress is accurate cutting. These tools make it very easy (sign up for Joann's coupons and use one for the ruler, mat or cutter...the mat and cutter are often on sale too). I think you are on the right path thinking a small project before the lap size quilt suggested by others. A table mat or runner would be a good start...make three or four blocks of your choice and then join them. Choose a backing and small piece of batting. Quilt by sewing through all layers in straight lines following the lines in the blocks. Cut the edges cleanly and square up the mat/runner. Then find a youtube video to show how to bind the mat/runner. This will give you experience in all skills need to make that first lap quilt!