Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?" >

"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?"

"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?"

Old 12-29-2013, 06:56 AM

Write up a simple contract and have both of you sign it. It's amazing how people can misunderstand when terms are just verbal. If you have it in writing, it's protection for both of you. This may seem somewhat cold, but I've seen the problems that can happen if you don't have it in writing.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 AM

I made a queen sized quilt in a simple pattern for my SIL's stepmother and I charged $500, and that was the family rate. It was a pattern and colors she requested so I first drew up a contract so we each knew what was expected of the other, then I had her pay half up front so I could buy the fabric, thread, etc. Then, upon completion, I had her pay the other half plus the shipping costs. She was happy to do so, as she is one of those rare non-quilting people who actually "gets" what goes into making a quilt.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:20 AM

Your are WAY undercharging!! If you want to do it for $75, that's up to you, but I bet you get paid much more at your place of employment for a commensurate amount of time that it would take to make a quilt. I would charge at least that much. Not to mention, taking your spare time.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:49 AM

Sorry have you seen the price is good fabric! I would charge no less the $10 per square foot. These are for a one-of-a-kind quilts. Never seen to exactly the same. With any good luck they become heirlooms. Sorry if they don't want to pay then don't sew. Your time is just as valuable is anybody else. Never worked for free. We all put too much love in our quilts that we make.
i've sold for 40 years and somebody always want something for free. If it's for free I'll give it to my children my grandchildren or to a charity.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:30 AM

This is how I started to quilt. I told a friend I would love one...she said she would not make me one but would make one with me..along with the one so we both would have one. She gave me a list of what to buy...that was my first shock...and of course at the time bought nothing on sale...also she had me purchase a cutting board, cutter and ruler. Best thing I ever did...since I fell in love with quilting!!! We had the best time ever!!!
Originally Posted by lclang View Post
Long ago I quit doing work for those who do not quilt or sew because they have no inkling what it takes to make a quilt. Now I tell them I will NOT make a quilt for them, but if they are determined to have a quilt I will be glad to help them make their own, offering advice and guidance as needed. That is usually the end of it.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 AM

I see many people say they would not make one for a lower price for friends and family but will make them for charity???
Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 AM

I agree with everyone, also. Yes by the time you cut out the pieces, sew the pieces, and so on-binding. I would go at least $125-$200.00. I wouldnt go any less than the price, I mentioned.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 AM

Though it is sweet to think otherwise, once someone pays you to make a quilt you are now a professional not a hobby babe. And it goes downhill from there.....

The potential buyer sees what you do as having a monetary value, consider that a compliment and recognize that you only devalue your work when you take a token labour price. Nobody appreciates "free" or "discounted goods". When someone in this day and age buys a designer anything on sale it gets treated like a discount item because subconciously the buyer sees it as inferior and not worthy of the same care as a full price item. There is a ton of marketing science behind pricing. So if you give it away cheap prepare for it to be treated as cheap and easy to replace.

Family and close friends are one thing, co-workers are another. I did a bunch of linen embroidered work for a church at cost and learned my lesson on perceived value....

Last edited by Trippgal; 12-29-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:35 AM

It seem this subject comes up very often. IMHO, I prefer to stay away from that whole scenario and gift my quilts to those I know will enjoy and appreciate them. I have been asked on many occasions to make a quilt for someone, but when I tell them of the time, effort, etc. involved and what it would probably cost in labor, I usually never hear from them again about it and that's just fine with me. An ordered quilt only puts stress on me and at my age, I just don't want any part of that!!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Just remember that a queen is a lot bigger than a twin...