Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilts >

Charity Quilts

Charity Quilts

Old 12-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Each year I do some for our soldiers and try to do some for Project Linus.. I like to put binding on my quilts.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Wow, I am impressed with the generosity of all of you. I made five charity quilts this year and felt like I was doing pretty good. I put binding on each of mine.

Dina
I agree Dina, I have done that many tops so far. I birth a table runner and am having problems with getting the closed section position correctly. Binding looks so much nicer but that is just my opinion.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:10 PM

I bind all my charity quilts, sometimes hand sewn down, other times machine sewn, I've never birthed a quilt. It seems easier to put on a binding for me, have been doing it that way for many years.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:10 PM

I'm not really familiar with the term "birthed" as pertains to a quilt (though I can make some guesses without doing any searching on the web). I bind all charity quilts the same way as I do my own or gift quilts.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:36 PM

I typically donate one quilt per year... that gets used in a raffle. I bind all my quilts. I did birth a few but found it more troublesome than doing a regular binding.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:52 PM

I help make quilts for charity at our church. I do the sewing and others tie the quilts. So far, we are making the backings larger than the tops and double folding the backing edges over to the front and zigzagging. I like that method. So far, I have not birthed a quilt.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:20 PM
yel

since i have the long arm in the group ....i quilted about 75 and the rest of the group also does some straight line quilting so between the 7 of us we did over 100...all quilted and then binding .......we have a few ladies that can no longer quilt to help with sewing the binding down .....they are happy to help ..we are glad they do
Old 12-29-2013, 02:35 PM

I have become addicted to charity baby quilts. I have a practical bent and can only make quilts that someone wants or needs.

When I was trying to learn FMQ I read that charity quilts were a great way to practice. I took it to heart and have done 47 in the last year. Our guild goal for this guild year is 250 for a camp for teenage mothers and their babies. I am determined to do my best to ensure we make this goal. Baby quilts are so much fun. You can try new patterns and quilt patterns without a huge investment in material or time. Now that I am fairly comfident about FMQ, I alternate between churning out simple quilts to make our numbers and working on improving my novice piecing skills.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

I generally make about 30-40 donated quilts each year---none of which are 'birthed' instead of bound. I always quilt and bind my quilts. of the 30-40 quilts about 25 of them are children sized (twin or smaller) the other 5-15 are full to queen sized. ( I send kids quilts to Downy quilts for Kids, Saint Jude Childrens hospital and the local women's resource center emergency shelter) adult quilts are generally more as the need comes up- home fire, medical situation, circumstances in life have created a need. some years I wind up doing more- but most years I do at least that many.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 PM

You gals have inspired me. All your good work is to be commended. I was part of group that made quilts for a children's charity some years ago. I quit going because some of the group leaders talked politics and made bigoted comments. I should have spoken-up and complained but I didn't. I know where and when another group meets and I need
to get myself over there and participate!