Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?" >

"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?"

"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?"

Old 12-29-2013, 05:15 PM

I personally think you are undercharging, also be sure to give the estimate before you begin or purchase anything to start. I recently was gifted two antique quilt tops. The person who give them to me is a close family friend. I felt they should stay in the family though, called her son and offered to longarm them for him and his wife which include batting thread etc. Oh yes they would love to have them. When I quoted them the cost for two quilts, just over $300.00 for both. they were around 80x90 each. He backed out in a hurry. So I will keep them and enjoy them myself.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:03 AM

Oh Gina, you are severely under-pricing!!! A queen sized quilt is about 86" by 93" and I would charge a minimum of $130 just to do the quilting!!! And you are going to piece the quilt top (4 yards of fabric @ $12-$15 a yard, make the backing (4 yards of fabric @ $12 a yard) plus batting ($20-25)...how many hours will you spend sewing, cutting, washing, pressing, sandwiching and quilting? You are an ARTIST and deserve to be paid like one!!! A minimum of $20/hour. So you should charge somewhere between $600 and $800, honestly. Your time is irreplaceable so don't give it away and by under-valuing your talents and time, you undermine all fabric artists who are charging a fair price for their creations. If they don't want a custom-made by hand quilt from you, then they can go to Wal-Mart and buy a crappy quilt for $30-50 and find out that it will fall apart after a few washes. Because your quilts are made by an artist who has honed her craft/skills for years, your quilts are worth the price you charge! I've charged $1,500 for a commissioned king size quilt and they didn't bat an eyelash!!! And they bought the material at a quilt shop while I was with them to guide their choices, so other than batting, all I charged for was labor!

Check this article out: http://www.quiltingbusiness.com/quilt-pricing/

Last edited by Farm Quilter; 12-30-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:12 AM

Check this article out: http://www.quiltingbusiness.com/quilt-pricing/
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Depending on where you are located, I would say a very minimum of $100 and that would be for the top only, not the quilting. Your time is definitely worth more than you would charge.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 AM

I agree with everyone, I do think your short changing yourself. But I really think you need to think about if this will be fun for you? I have a hard time quilting or sewing for others. Usually I don't like the fabric or the colors or whatever. I guess I am a selfish quilter/sewer. I want to do my thing. You would have to pay me alot of money to do one for someone else. Now, however I do give my quilts away, because I usually have someone in mind when I start them. And so far, so good, everyone has been thrilled. But mine are for family... Best of luck and I hope you come up with a great plan for this quilt. Let us know how it works out.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I can guess how you know.

Do you stay busy with that price of $6.75 per square foot?
justflyingin, yes, I do stay busy. I stopped taking orders in September so I could do some of my own! Currently, I have three on 'backorder.' That's as busy as I want to be!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:50 AM

Make sure you make over minimum wages for your time. You should not be a low wage earner.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 AM

I don't think that is I enough to charge. I think I'd figure out a flat fee (something like $350) plus the cost of the fabrics and the cost to quilt it. But, then I would include the binding costs in the $350.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Am posting this comment late, but you would be undercharging. As everyone else has stated, think about her word of mouth. That's what I tell everyone. Queen size is double a twin.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:26 AM

I think 100 is reasonable if they buy all the supplies.