Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilts >

Charity Quilts

Charity Quilts

Old 12-30-2013, 05:53 AM

This year I made 100 little dresses for Africa instead of charity quilts. Each one of them was cute enough to gift to a DGD. Usually I make and donate quilts, but this was a nice change for me and the sewing group I am part of.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:18 AM

My friend and I only did 47 this year. We concentrated on pillow cases and jackets instead this year. Made 14 sweatshirt jackets and lost count of the pillow cases. My friend also added near 100 knit hats. (we tell her she never goes to bed, just sits in her chair with eyes closed and hands still moving) By the way she is 86 yr old. She has already done 30 some receiving blankets and almost as many hats for next year. Me I am not in mood to start sewing just yet. Have several quilts and jackets in the works but taking a break from a hectic last year. She starts the quilts and I finish them so far with binding and machine quilting. I may look into birthing this time.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I'm not really familiar with the term "birthed" as pertains to a quilt (though I can make some guesses without doing any searching on the web). I bind all charity quilts the same way as I do my own or gift quilts.
I see no one else has answered this, so here goes. Birthing is the name applied to the process of turning a quilt right side out after top and back have been sewn right sides together with the backing on the outside. You need to leave an opening when you sew around the outside so that you can turn the quilt. (Birth it.) After the quilt is "birthed", the opening is sewn together, usually whipstitched by hand, but some use a zig-zag on the edge.

Birthing is a very easy and fast choice for baby, children's, and charity quilts. I've done some full sized quilts like that, but I enjoy binding too much, so I usually bind most of my quilts, no matter what size.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 AM

many, many...don't have a count.........most are birthed. Used to do Project Linus and others but now making tops for Quilts Beyond Borders.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
I birth almost all of mine. I did 26 donation quilts last year and all were birthed except 3 cause my sil quilted them for me so I used regular binding.
I make 3a month all birthed.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 AM

My charity group makes 300-400 quilts per year. They are given to those receiving medical services and include babies, oldsters and everyone in between. We also support a children's summer camp for the bereaved. Almost all of our quilts are machine quilted and bound, but some are tied with the backing folded over to make the binding.
I also make quilts for various scholarship and auction fund raisers as well as for veterans. I always machine quilt and bind my quilts.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 AM

I make just one charity quilt per year, but it always goes up for auction for our local care group. In the beginning (about 6 years ago) the quilt only went for $200 - which was really discouraging. But every year the winning bid has gone up, and this last year it was won at $1650. I don't know if my quilts are really worth that much more, as much as the folks are a little looser (wine) and they are more in the fund raising spirit!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 AM

I've lost count but ours are done with a church group, all donated fabric, and we usually tie them. I find this a great way to try new blocks and enjoy it very much.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 AM

I too have trouble with 'birthing'. I prefer to bring backing to the front for binding but most of the time I don't have enough backing to come to the front so I bind the traditional way and hand stitch it down on the back.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
I birth almost all of mine. I did 26 donation quilts last year and all were birthed except 3 cause my sil quilted them for me so I used regular binding.
WOW!!! That's one every two weeks of the year. Congratulations. I'm lucky to get 2 to 4 a year; and one of them is made as a quilt group. All were machine stitched bindings.