UFOs

Old 12-30-2013, 05:56 AM

I have 8 quilts/ tops in various stages of completion. Plus at least 3 more that are planned projects. This does not count the 8 or so quilt kits that I purchased at a garage sale( I'll get to those eventually) Yikes! I'd better get moving. My children go back to school on January 6th. I think I'll set a goal of finishing one quilt per month until they are done. I've hosted too many holiday gatherings since late November to have all my sewing stuff out all over the Family Room. After Jan 2nd, I can pull it out and start making a creative mess again!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by dcquilter View Post
So I counted up all the quilts I have started but not finished, and all the quilts I have all the fabric for but haven't started yet, and if I finish one every two months, I have enough projects to last for NINE years! This doesn't include wall hangings or table runners. I had no idea I had THAT many! Guess I better get started!
For motivation, I have pledged not to buy any new fabric until I have completed at least 5 of these projects. That will be hard!
Anyone else have too many UFOs?
OMG this sounds like me…….I find fabric I love, and buy what I need to make a queen or king sized quilt……and I have project box after project box filled with these…not to mention the 2 and 3 yard pieces of individual fabrics that I could not go home without……..I have not taken the time to count up what I have to do…..(too scared)…….

If you are in DC, and someday find yourself with nothing to do, and are up for a road trip to Winchester - let me know…….we can have a nice visit and compare notes!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
It finally got to the point where I triaged all of my UFO's. A lot came from my younger quilting days, and frankly, my tastes have changed. I separated out all of the UFO's I wanted to finish. I donated a whole bin full of tops to a group who makes Charity Quilts, along with some fabric for the backing. Again, these were practice tops, and I was more interested in learning the technique than actually making a quilt, so why beat myself up for not finishing them? I donated a whole bin of quilt blocks to the school so the girls would have blocks already done to sew together. They were very pleased to receive them. The rest of the tops that no one would want, are tops I am using to practice FMQ stitching. That cleaned out my UFO's and gave me an incentive to finish the ones I wanted to finish.
What a wonderful idea you have……..
Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 AM

One UFO is too many, and I have way more than one.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:58 AM

Take it from me ...a retiree of close to 20 years.....you will not finish all but add to the pile of UFO's. a friend told me to put each UFO in a bag with someone's name on it and when you die they will be thrilled that you were making a quilt for them! Seems like I might have to do that! Not sure how to handle the stash though.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 AM

Oh my! Just finished sorting and organizing craft/ sewing room and although I don't have a stash like many I have a far share of fabrics left over from 10 quilts. I am putting a caboosh on purchasing any more fabric unless it's for backing. Need to sandwich and quilt two bed tops while still dabbling to finish making blocks for a summer quilt. Oh yeah, did start another quilt top using decorative stitches and a Kaffe quilt top made with batiks. Will I ever have time to finish this year? That was a rhetorical question. Lol I still have a couple of kits and patterns that I plan to complete this coming year. Wish me luck as I wish all of you luck in your UFO projects. happy New Year- Keep Calm and Quilt On!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:31 AM

I only have two UFOs, but I had way too many piles of fabric which I designated for a specific project. I would feel overwhelmed and therefore be very nonproductive with all of it staring me in the face. About six months ago I allowed myself to change my mind and use fabric from those piles. I have since made dozens of smaller quilts which I am using for charity donations. At first it was hard because I am very slow to change direction. Now it is a blast to see those piles getting smaller and smaller. My goal this year is to clear off my sewing tables and to get rid of as much stash and completed projects as I can. No new fabric except backing fabric and no new patterns, books etc. I will never finish all the stuff I have right now.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:42 AM

I have a container full of finished tops, I decided to get all the things I have been working on for years and put away because of working. I was amazed at how many, Still have a few then I will try to get them quilted. Am really just learning how to do piecing so must finishs the plain blocks and embroidery, and painted block ones first.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:48 AM

Good for you! I did something similar and my pile is down to about six unfinished tops. Some just need quilting and others are works in progress. Then I have the quilt guild projects that are done over the course of the year, but I don't count those. I want to get three finished by.....summer. That will work with a full time job and on and on and on.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:59 AM

I once read a suggestion to put each UFO in a bag and then randomly pick one and work on it a while. You are allowed to put it back in it's bag (after you have worked on it) and choose another bag. That way you have a surprise and you get closer to finishing projects. You might have to leave notes in your bag, if your project isn't easy to figure out.