Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first project idea's or pattern needed >

first project idea's or pattern needed

first project idea's or pattern needed

Old 12-30-2013, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by hrmom26 View Post
hello all, i am just starting out learning how to quilt/sew etc. I'm looking for a good starting project something small to just find my feet so to speak maybe a place mat or pot holder or something? i got a machine for Christmas and went to Joann fabrics today (omg i am so excited to start). i intended to just get supplies today but i ended up finding and falling in love with a fabric ( and it was 40% off lol )the picture below it's the pink, the black underneath it is just one that looked like it went with it so i guess I'm looking for idea's on what to make and maybe if anyone has a pattern to share or maybe a link on where to find a free or cheep pattern? thanks so much! ----Heather
[ATTACH=CONFIG]453630[/ATTACH]
Hi Hrmom 26. I'm sure you will find all the help and patterns you will need here on the forum,there is a vast fount of skill and knowledge here.One thing I would suggest, don't buy too many books, rulers etc at once believe me I speak from experience! Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting it can be a lifetime of discovery.Love Letty
Old 12-30-2013, 04:54 AM

Go to You Tube and type in 10 minute table runner tutorial. You can find 3 or 4 variations of this tutorial, and this is a very quick and easy project, you can use both pieces of your new fabric. If you are totally new to sewing, then a quick note when you are cutting the width of the fabric, normally that means that the selvages are folded together and you are cutting from selvage to selvage, and the length is along the selvage strips. Most fabrics are usually 44-45" wide.
The selvage is the part of the fabric, that has been finished with often times white or the listing of the manfg. label and sometimes colored dots ( it is not the cut edge that you have on each end of your fabric when you purchase it.) When you are purchasing fab. the clerk will measure the length along the selvage edge- if you are having someone cut the fabric that knows what they are doing. I hope this makes sense and helps you a bit.
Several have mentioned that you should purchase a rotary cuter, ruler and mat- definitely, Word of caution, please be careful and safe when using your rotary cutter, they are very sharp and you can get cut easily- When I started using mine many many years ago I started out locking it or returning the blade to the non cutting position after each cut I made, so as not to get cut when picking the cutter up, and for others who may be around- especially children. I still follow that today.
Welcome to the fun and wonderful world of sewing and quilting - Have fun and show us your finished project.

Last edited by Gerbie; 12-30-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:54 AM

Go to Missouri Star Quilting Company and view the free tutorials. There are many easy patterns you could use to make a block or two to get your feet wet.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 AM

There are wonderful video classes available. Missouri Star has so many to choose from. I think many pf Jenny Doan's concepts are great for a beginner because they are quick. Her methods are quick and easy. I think starting with small projects is just good for success and it allows you to start quilting techniques as well as piecing early. You learn them in a hand in hand fashion on projects easy to handle and not have to deal with 'bulky stuff' before you are equipped to handle it. Craftsy classes are great as is YouTube. Start a file of interesting ideas and keep s notebook of techniques to refer to. Don't expect perfection to start with and plan to learn from each experience. Quilting as a hobby or moving to competition is a great experience. Enjoy every step along the path; lots of us will walk along with you.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by hrmom26 View Post
thanks, i just need to find a pattern now
You will find google is your best friend. Try "free quilt patterns" or "beginner free quilt patterns". You will find lots!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 AM

Red face new/easy pattern/new quilter

I suggest a 9 patch using the pink print in the corners and the black for the other 5 squares.
This will give you lots of practice on matching seams which is the first basic of quilting. Also 1/4" seams always.
I finally found 1/4" seams so important--after 72 yrs of quilting.LOL. Do it right to start and never look back.
(You could also go on to the DP9 after you get all the 9 patches sewed if you want to see something different, kinda confusing and lots of fun!
Phyllis
84 yrs in Oregon
72 yrs quilting
Old 12-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I made a pair of 9 patch pot holders....That got me started quilting...
Old 12-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Love the pink fabric, you could do a very basic 9-patch with 2 colors, then the pink as a square, it would be very pretty. I agree with Holice, go back to JoAnn's and get a beginner's quilting book. Carol Doak has one - "Your first Quilt Book, or it should be." I've taken classes with her and she's a good teacher. But I would also ask the people at JoAnn's to recommend a good beginner's book.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:41 PM

I have the black piece it washes beautiful, looks like velvet.
all I can say is just jump in and have fun, Even mistakes can be beautiful.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:08 AM

Welcome to the QB! I agree with Gerbie, you can find simple table runner patterns on line and you'll get immediate satisfaction of completing a smaller project. Your fabrics would make a pretty runner.