Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage ZigZag machines, piecing 1/4" (scant) seam allowances >

Vintage ZigZag machines, piecing 1/4" (scant) seam allowances

Vintage ZigZag machines, piecing 1/4" (scant) seam allowances

Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 AM

Jim,

Sew-Classic has left homing low shank SS feet. I've seen them other places too. They are out there.

Joe
Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 AM

I have a left homing ZZ. I don't love it for piecing but it does do some really cool decorative ZZ stitches (which is why it sits down in it's cabinet more often than not, I just don't use those that often. Sigh). I just got so frustrated trying to get that seam that I went back to my FW. FWIW, I tried piecing on my Kenmore plastic wonder and the dogs were too far apart too so I was getting the 1/4" seam right over one of the dogs. Not my fav either.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 AM

I guess I'm an odd ball. I don't really have any trouble getting a good 1/4" seam with mine. Maybe I don't know no better ...... where's my sign.

Or maybe I should dig out one of my two left homers and do it all again to see if I can still do it now.

Or maybe I should just quit posting on this thread.

J e
Old 12-30-2013, 12:33 PM

by the laws of physics, bees can't fly either, they just haven't read the manual, I think bcause all the ones u see,...are male! ¡^)
Old 12-30-2013, 04:26 PM

Jim,

I've dug out my two Left Homing machines and am piecing with them using both the wider ZZ foot and the narrower SS foot. I'm taking pics too. If there's any interest I'll try to put all this into a picture thread.
So far though I'm having zero problems. I guess even though I can't do it I'm doing it anyway.
I'll try some FMQ also since they both drop their feed dogs.

Joe
Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM

Joe, I really don' t understand why such persistence about this. Why can't others have different opinions ??. NO ONE said you can't do a 1/4" seam. What I said is accuracy for scant 1/4" is hard to maintain and experienced quilters who do more than just put squares together, will tell the difference and not be happy.

Last edited by Candace; 12-30-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:24 PM

Candace,

Ah heck, maybe cos I'm being stubborn and trying to see something for myself. I know others have different opinions and lots more experience. That's kind of the thing, I get experience by doing things. So, maybe I'm having to prove it to myself.

Quickie question for FMQ'ers, what foot do you use?

Nother quickie question; what the difference between a "scant" seam and a regular seam?

Joe
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM

scant means stitch width less than 1/4"... I'll let someone mite experienced answer the other.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM

Joe, most people use the darning foot for FMQ although I have heard of some that use no foot. Don't think I would do that.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Candace,

Ah heck, maybe cos I'm being stubborn and trying to see something for myself. I know others have different opinions and lots more experience. That's kind of the thing, I get experience by doing things. So, maybe I'm having to prove it to myself.

Quickie question for FMQ'ers, what foot do you use?

Nother quickie question; what the difference between a "scant" seam and a regular seam?

Joe

For FMQing you use a darning or "hopping" foot. There are spring needles and darning springs available for machines that don't have feet that will work, such as rotary machines etc. I don't use these as I would end up with a needle in my finger for sure. I have a couple and have used them. They're not for me.

I'm not even sure a FMQ foot is available for left homing machines as the needle would hit any regular, needle centered darning foot. So, this may be a machine that would have to use a spring needle.

A scant 1/4" is basically a 1/4" seam minus a thread width or two threads width. The thread used making the stitching actually takes up space in the seam when pressed, so to get an accurate 1/4" final seam, many quilters use a scant measurement. A consistent and precise scant 1/4" is necessary for many patterns and blocks.