Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
old quilt >

old quilt

old quilt

Old 12-28-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by IrishKaren View Post
I'd seen this block before and remembered it was called Crossroads so I tracked down some more info. The full name is Crossroads to Bachelor's Hall.
The pattern was first printed in 1906 in a Clara Stone booklet made available by www.antiquepatternlibrary.org Here is the pdf link. You'll see that on the cover of the booklet is a swastika quilt. Look for quilt #31.
http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org...ltPatterns.pdf

Recent article: http://quiltingpiecebypiece.wordpres...ewold-pattern/

Detailed article on use of swastika in quilts.
http://www.quiltersmuse.com/Swastika...he-Design.html

You'd need an expert in dating fabrics to determine more closely when it was made. I think it looks 1920s. Do you know what year you're great-grandmother was born?
Thanks Irish now i have a pattern name
Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 PM

It will be beautiful when cleaned and seems you've inherited a wonderful memory.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:02 AM

Interesting article, will check back.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Auntie M View Post
Your great grandmother's story would be interesting. Swastikas did not always have the negative connotation that they presently have, so the story behind the quilt could go many directions. I like the blue and white color combination and also thought it looked like snowflakes. What a treasure.
Puts me in mind of this quilt
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ilt-blue-white
Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by tlundy View Post
interesting would love to see a pic of that quilt.all the swastika quilts I have found have large easily seen swastikas which mine does not. from my posted picture you can zoom in as close as you want but you see no swastikas it takes light at the right angle to see them. would love to find how the swastika fabric was used other than to make this quilt. predating Hitler I don't understand why the lucky swastikas are hidden. A quilt appraiser said from the picture it looks to be from 1880-1900 I will update when I get more info. thanks to all and happy new year

Last edited by persistent; 01-01-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
It's amazing and I bet valuable. I'd like to hear more about your grandmother.
found out the great grandmother was born in 1863 but haven't figured out where she was born yet. I'm still trying
Old 01-01-2014, 02:54 PM

What an amazing quilt, no matter what the fabric has on it. I would say treasure it and keep it safe. If you look at most artdeco building in cities that were built before WWII then you will see the swastika or broken cross. In the KC area there are at least 4 that I know about. Probably more that I don't. If you store the quilt you should type up a paper on the meaning and history that you can find on the quilt. This way those in the future will know the history and might not have a knee jerk reaction to destroy it.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM

Not the Nazi swastika, which has the arms turning in the other direction. It's an old design that predates Nazi swastikas.

Last edited by JoanneS; 01-12-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Not the Nazi swastika, which has the arms turning in the other direction. It's an old design that predates Nazi swastikas.
Thanks JoanneS as you can see in the pictures my quilt has left and right facing the Nazi swastikas are right facing at a 45 degree angle. And yes this quilt predates the Nazi version of swastika. I in no way believe this quilt is related to hate. It is a shame that the instant people see swastikas (myself included until I received this quilt) they associate them with the hatred that the misguided dictator linked to the image.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 PM

Some Native American Indian tribes also painted the "Swastica" sign on their horses and tee-pees and that was long before Hitlers rise to power.