New Year

Old 01-01-2014, 05:11 AM

I plan to retire this year. I have no intention of volunteering for ANYTHING! I would like to quilt more, read more, work with my dog more (obedience and freestyle), garden more, and make new friends. I would also like to start a blog - something I never seem to have time for.

Last edited by sparkys_mom; 01-01-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:22 AM

thank you all for these responses. I already, read,bake, and sew so I just plan to expand on that also. My laundry is never caught up maybe I can keep up with that now.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 AM

I start my day with about 45 minutes of prayer, watching TV, reading, doing online Bible study, quilt and when I'm physically able again I'll throw in some exercise 4-5 days a week. After 34 years in the classroom I believe I need to take time for myself and enjoy life as I never have been able to before. I have a neighbor who retired from teaching about a year after I did. She took a job at Kroger in the cheese department, part time, because she can't stand being home "doing nothing." Retirement is to enjoy life, not worry about having "nothing" to do.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:54 AM

I so looked forward to retirement--was a full time nurse for 40+ years, retired at 59 1/2. At first, I felt lost--like I was no longer a "contributing member of society". After about 3 weeks I realized "hey! I contributed now it's my time." Retiring was the best decision I have ever made. I work 1 day per week in a physician's office (my fabric money LOL) but for the first time in a long time I have no set schedule, my blood pressure is normal, and I no longer grind my teeth when I sleep. I've also learned to cook! We always had quick, after-work kind of meals; now I'm doing more involved recipes and lots of crock-pot cooking so I can sew. If chores need done I do them early and can sew all day. If I can put off the chores, well, there's always tomorrow.

The best advice I rec'd was to give myself a few weeks or a month to decide what, if anything, I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Don't jump into a lot of committments until you think about them. You don't have to do anything you don't want to! Enjoy!!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I have found that there is plenty to do and still have to make time for my quilting.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 AM

I tell people I graduated to the rest of my life. I am busy everyday, don't know when I had time to work. My DH and I travel in an RV about 6-8 weeks in the summer. We have provided a home for 4 shelter dogs. And I have definitely had more time for quilting.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:47 AM

I stopped teaching after 37 years due toill health. Dr told me to have 1 year off on medical grounds and do and look at nothing to do with work. So I decided to retire. At the time my father was alive and we went out every day for a meal . We enjoyed ourselves. When he passed I just felt lost and quilted every day. Love being retired and am glad I have such an inspiring hobby . I read, garde n, etc although last year was different

Just enjoy every minute.remember to eat .
Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 AM

I am a stay at home mom and feel that "lost" feeling every September. You'll get into a routine quickly. Enjoy, you deserve it
Old 01-01-2014, 01:24 PM

I have been retired for 14 years. The first year I took off from everything. Then, I decied where I would like to spend my time. I wound up volunteering at the local food pantry one day each week. Wednesdays, I recently joined a wonderful quilting group, that is always doing for the less fortunate. Last year they made and donated over 40 quilts of valor. The year before 75 pillowcase dresses went for Africa. I do belong to another smaller group but they are not community minded..more like a social group. I look forward to every Wed. and cannot wait to see what's in store for this year. I fully agree with the othr comments here, regarding naps, setting your own time for things and generally doing things you never had time for in your working years. Do not fear retirement,enjoy it.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:35 PM

I just realized that I retired seven years ago yesterday (January 1, 2007). Where has the time gone. I'm now also four years free of cancer, YAY!!! I volunteer at the "Y" for Cancer survivors (Live Strong), just finished my ninth class. Our new class (days) will start some time this month. I also do the night class, that should start this month also. I have made eleven quilts plus four for my self. I try to exercise at the "Y" three days a week not counting the two days for volunteering at the "Y". Walk at least five days a week outside if possible if not, I walk on my tread mill. I have my own home plus a husband to care for, love to cook, bake and experience with new recipes all the time. Poor husband never knows what's for dinner, it's different many nights. He enjoys it though.

In joy your retirement. Happy, Healthy 2014 everyone!!!