Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help for very special project! >

Need help for very special project!

Need help for very special project!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Our hospital wants wheel chair bags, and asked volunteers to make some. The directions are to use a piece 20 inches wide by 28 inches long. Fold that in half, line it if you wish, and attach handles (3 1/2 inches wide by 21 inches long, folded to make a strap 1 inch wide). Use Velcro to attach.

As for color, I would use a neutral background with a pink, purple, fuschia pattern in it.

Last edited by maviskw; 01-03-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
My 9 year old granddaughter has recently been relegated to a wheelchair for the forsee-able future. On the bright side, she has just received a fuschia wheelchair made just for her! My DD (a non-sewer) was thumbing through a Nancy's notions catalog and got the idea that I could make her a quilted book bag to hang on the back of the wheelchair. We live 1000 miles apart, which makes for not too good communication. Do any of you know of a pattern that could be altered for this purpose? I believe what she liked was made out of a jelly roll. So I need a pattern and the suggestion of a good jelly roll that would go with a fuschia wheelchair. I have to shop on line, so I can't tell about colors very well. I did see Daisy Mae by Benartex, but can't tell if it is hot pink or fuschia. Any help would be appreciated. TIA!
My family lovingly calls me "the Queen of pink" because I am drawn to all shades of it. Having said that, because I work with so much of it, I have learned that you will never match it perfectly, so while others have given you a site for patterns, I thought I would suggest that you use a variety of pinks with maybe purple or aqua for an accent color since she is a girly girl in a fushia "set of wheels". Many blessings to you all.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:54 AM

Default Wheel chair bags

Another type of wheelchair bag was requested a few years back. It attaches onto the arm rests and could hang inside or outside of the chair. I would put mine on the inside. LOL Very easy for user to get at contents.

These could be as long (wide) as the chair handle would accommodate and as deep as you like. Six inches or so seems about right. Ours were held on with four straps that tied.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
handles (3 1/2 inches wide by 21 inches long, folded to make a strap 1 inch wide). Use Velcro to attach.
Should have said: This strap holds the bag onto the wheelchair handles. So it would be cut into four pieces. Or maybe two pieces Velcroed to the bag at one end. Sometimes I sew a line down the middle or to one side of the bag to create two pockets.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I would look at McCalls/Simplicity patterns on line, because I have seen patterns to make such bags. My prayers for healing for your DGD and hope she isn't in the wheelchair for long - but I think she has a hot one in fushcia. I'm sure there are great fabrics out there that would really jazz up the wheelchair.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
My 9 year old granddaughter has recently been relegated to a wheelchair for the forsee-able future. On the bright side, she has just received a fuschia wheelchair made just for her! My DD (a non-sewer) was thumbing through a Nancy's notions catalog and got the idea that I could make her a quilted book bag to hang on the back of the wheelchair. We live 1000 miles apart, which makes for not too good communication. Do any of you know of a pattern that could be altered for this purpose? I believe what she liked was made out of a jelly roll. So I need a pattern and the suggestion of a good jelly roll that would go with a fuschia wheelchair. I have to shop on line, so I can't tell about colors very well. I did see Daisy Mae by Benartex, but can't tell if it is hot pink or fuschia. Any help would be appreciated. TIA!
Most totes will work on a wheelchair if the bag is wide enough and the straps long enough. You do have to allow for the straps to wrap around the handles or else the straps may slide down the edges. I've made a blue zillion out of jeans and pants. very simple, very quick. Just switch the straps around for use on a wheel chair
Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Another type of wheelchair bag was requested a few years back. It attaches onto the arm rests and could hang inside or outside of the chair. I would put mine on the inside. LOL Very easy for user to get at contents.

These could be as long (wide) as the chair handle would accommodate and as deep as you like. Six inches or so seems about right. Ours were held on with four straps that tied.

How do you hand a bag over the wheel and not create a huge problem with movement? Even hanging inside--couldn't be very big and wouldn't allow for more than a couple books
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Our hospital wants wheel chair bags, and asked volunteers to make some. The directions are to use a piece 20 inches wide by 28 inches long. Fold that in half, line it if you wish, and attach handles (3 1/2 inches wide by 21 inches long, folded to make a strap 1 inch wide). Use Velcro to attach.

As for color, I would use a neutral background with a pink, purple, fuschia pattern in it.
In my experience, most velcro will hold only a limited amount of weight, unless you use industrial strenght velcro-------------which is available.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 AM

One thing to remember, make the bag easy to pull off to give her access to the contents-------without help from someone else. Which is why I like a bit longer straps and no velcro
Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM

I just saw the new lakeside line and it might work great for what you are describing. Hot pinks and girly type of prints. Hope your granddaughter recovers quickly.