Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 01-05-2014, 04:22 AM

This is my 24 1/2"centre block with its 1st border. I tried to do jaba's 1st border, but it beat me, so I did the other one[ATTACH=CONFIG]454872[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4391.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	454872  
Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 AM

This is my 24 1/2"centre block with its 1st border. I tried to do jaba's 1st border, but it beat me, so I did the other one[ATTACH=CONFIG]454872[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]454873[/ATTACH]This is my 12 1/2" Kokaburra cross stitch one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4392.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	454873  
Old 01-05-2014, 04:33 AM

Whitepine, that is just beautiful, when I look at it I see beautiful quilted feathers in those corners.

Quiltaddiction, great center to begin with, & M-Fay love your center block, great blocks around too.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 AM

I am very impressed with all the centers and 1st rounds going on!! I was gone all day yesterday, but will be home all day today and probably the next 2 due to cold weather (up to -50 windchill) so hope to get some time sewing.

m-fay--I tried to do jaba's first border and thought I had all the math right (I have to make it 3 1/2" for my block) and just couldn't get it right. I think I may use the one you did instead. I'll try some sample blocks today. If that doesn't look right I will just go with a couple small borders this time and something more exciting for round 2.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:17 AM

Whitepine: I really disagree about your project being plain. I think it is striking, sometimes less is more. I really do like the on point.
Quiltaddiction: Nice block. Looking forward to seeing your first round. Funny how cameras distort color.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 AM

whitepine, I think you may be surprised! As you add borders those "plain" triangles may turn out to be the stand out of your quilt.
quiltaddiction lots of possibilities with your center block. It looks great and m-fay love the border on yours.
Great job everyone, love this big quilt along we are having. Remember if you see a border that you really love and would like, let me know, send a PM, and I'll see if I can figure it out.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
This is my 24 1/2"centre block with its 1st border. I tried to do jaba's 1st border, but it beat me, so I did the other one[ATTACH=CONFIG]454872[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]454873[/ATTACH]This is my 12 1/2" Kokaburra cross stitch one.
That fabric is the one I said I was going to use for mine...I love it! I even begged Shawna for hers that you sent her, so I could use it all through the quilt...it's going to be so cute for a kids quilt! I love your little bird...so cute! I will be at my other daughter's house for the next 2 weeks...hope to get alot of sewing done there; bringing my camera so I can post pic if I get done.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:15 AM

wow turn my back for an evening and look at all these centers! they are gorgeous!!! plain? not at all especially if you do a more colored next round it will be just fine. Yes putting things on point makes for a larger quilt but if you don't mind a regular sized quilt then its worth the extra work.. what is a few blocks amongst friends? lol.. I have large round robin to work on this month and I am the last round so its a whole lot of work. It also was put on point early on and looks stunning however.. oh boy think there will be a whole lot of blocks going into my round!

As you can see its truly not "that" hard to make a medallion type quilt. It is a bit more work invested in it but boy once you finish one you will have trouble I think finishing any quilt again with just a .. strip border. Its like anticlimactic! lol in my humble (ha laugh now ok humble is probably not me) opinion. And each time we add a border it changes up the game or ups the game a bit. You want to be better than the last round!
kookaburra oh so cute, that border on the Asian center is grand it looks like kimono's, the peach blue dot one will be awefully fun to see how it expands and oh so many more. You are making this so fun, its like a candy store to me!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 AM

Thanks for showing the on point one with just plain triangles. I was considering several options for mine and may go with either just plain or HST. The plain looks great on yours!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Ladies. Plain it will be. Much easier for me that way. Of course, it will be one of the blue fabrics and not the blue flannel of my design wall. What is that desire to fill up an empty space? You should see my house.