Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilts aren't warm >

My quilts aren't warm

My quilts aren't warm

Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Growing up, we always had quilts on our beds, not blankets. I remember them being layered and sometimes they were so heavy it was hard to turn over. I don't think I would rely on quilts to keep me warm, this day and time. Of course, it may depend on what they are made out of.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 AM

I am a hand quilter and am wondering how fleece is to quilt thru. I use warm and natural and love the way it quilts but don't find it very warm.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Try a double batting of wool and warm n'natural. We have lowered the temp in our room and ended up using a wool batting quilt on top of a warm n'natural batting quilt and were quilt comfortable. It seemed like the down comforter was too heavy.

Though for cold areas, you might need all three! Stay warm and take care.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM

I, too, was beginning to wonder why I was so cold at night. Living in Illinois normally we do not have the cold weather that Wisconsin does (I grew up in Wisconsin.) At any rate, I happily put my new dog quilt on my bed a month ago and was very pleased until the past couple of weeks. Now I am freezing to death. Decided this morning to put the puffy JCPenney one back on. I am so glad that someone else is having the same problem. I thought it was just me and my precious "dog quilt". Guess I will just wait until spring to put it back on.
Now I have an excuses to make another one that is warmer.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 AM

I would use wool with flannel backing if I wanted to make one extra comfy! I live in NW Indiana and we are expecting a a high of minus 9 tomorrow and -1 on Tuesday, windchills near -45 both days. I am very glad for my heated mattress pad on my soft side waterbed and my best bedwarmers, Benny and Squirt, my 2 toy poodles! I grew up here but lived in FL for 24 yrs and have been back home 13 yrs now and this is the worst winter so far for snow and extreme cold.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 AM

How is that to hand quilt and is there a shrinkage issue with wool batts?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Look again. The only poly in W&N is the scrim and I believe that's only 3% of the total content.
The federal requirement section of the paper wrap for the Warm and Natural batting I have here says:
87.5% Cotton and 12.5% Polypropylene

Last night we hit -33F, and it "felt like" -51F (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/las...rta/morinville), though the wood stove was going until about 2am so the house was cosy.

We slept with one thin silk comforter on the bed, there's a heavy Ikea poly duvet (I'm allergic to feathers, otherwise, I used to have a down mattress, down quilts and down jacket to manage this weather.) to pull over it if we need it, but we didn't. The silk comforter seems to do it for us all year long, except maybe about 10 days a year. This winter's been especially bad, so I have it at waist height most nights, but DH kicks it off and usually his portion also ends up over to my side, where I over heat and end up kicking it off too.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM

In northern sask it was -50 Celcius with windchill. I use 2 quilts!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
......on the couch, staying toasty, we prefer afgans.
There was also another post about recycling old wool blankets into batting. I don't see wool blankets in the thrift stores here very often but there's always plenty of old afghans. I wonder how they would work for batting?
Might be a good experiment. It wouldn't be too hard to throw something together just to test it out. Biggest problem I can think of is it might be a bit lumpy due to the knit pattern showing thru.
Rodney
Old 01-05-2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
Its below zero in Wisconsin and we're all bundled up next to the fire trying to keep warm. I'm noticing that my quilts are not very warm. I've tried warm and natural, and blend of cotton and poly. Seems like everyone is exchanging the quilts for fleece blankets. Any suggestions?
I back most of my quilts with fleece. It stands in for both batting and backing, is cozier than cotton fabric (my grandsons love this part!) and since it will not migrate like batting, there are no rules about how close together my quilting has to be. Usually for the "grands", I just run a few lines of quilting vertically and horizontally and call it a day.