Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 PM

I've finished the round for my second block. I used the curling ribbon or mountains (?) that Jaba posted. LOL. Now that the pic is up, I see the two corners should be rotated, but then, I kinda like it too. What the heck it is different.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]455166[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0001.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	455166  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 PM

dare to be different Reel! what the heck how often I change up things partially because well .. I cut the wrong color into the wrong pieces and sometimes it really works so I smile yours is pretty cool.

The pink purple paper pieced center wow is that looking grand!
Heads up: for a couple months I will be running the fq swap for Brenda til she gets less busy. I am going to do a red/white/pink fq swap and it can be other than valentines patterns so if your game watch for the posting. I had to submit it to Patrice so it might take a couple days but I am open to sign ups now if you like so same rules as before, send me your info and one or two swaps. Its going to be a short time sign up, short seriously turn around so these fq's can be used before Valentines day if needed. I will go to the 1st of the month sign ups closing say on the 5th and mail outs by the 7th with a jump start of at least a month or two on upcoming holidays/seasons so people have them when they need them ok end of sales pitch!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by bibliostone View Post
Mimi,
Looks good! Just wondering if you meant to do two corners with the pink pointing to the center and two on the diagonal? Symmetry ocd kicking in, I guess :>)
OMG, you're right. I finished it late at night & didn't notice it but now I do see it. Well, I would leave it but it would bother me so tomorrow I'll fix it.
thanks for pointing it out.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MamaHen View Post
Mimi, that looks great, I love your border color, orange? That's what it looks like to me. I'm into orange these days myself. Stepping outside my color comfort zone.
Mamahen, it's pink but has a little more red than usual. It wasn't easy to find something that I felt looked good to accent it.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 PM

Brat - your stacks of scraps looks a lot like my fabric stacks. But I don't differentiate between big pieces and little pieces. If there's at least enough for a couple of squares it goes with its color pile, which may go up to several yards on some things. I usually start out with anywhere from 1-3 yards, a few as much as 5 or 6 yards. So I have several 6 ft shelves total, including fleece and drapery fabric. Upholstery fabric scraps are in a big tote. Must get it all better organized, someday when I'm not sewing. Lol!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 PM

Such beautiful blocks emerging. Today I'm going to try Jaba's Hourglass block. It beat me before but I'm trying it again
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM

m-fay, you'll get it this time. And yes if you don't have the Fons and Porter ruler, then you can use the triangle cut from the square that is the same size. Just watch the line where your 2 strips join and make sure it's straight or you'll have a hard time matching the centers. Notice on my example where I had folded the triangle to get the right line.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 PM

Thanks Jaba
Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM

I finished my border pieces for the peacock block, but the poor peacock looks kind of overwhelmed. I think I might change to the other peacock block I got from rfbrazell because it just looks more "solid" in the middle. I have not sewn the border on yet. Feel free to comment on which peacock looks best. The other will probably be used in a pillow.

Original peacock center:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455235[/ATTACH]

2nd peacock center:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455236[/ATTACH]

The stamp panel only got a red border on it to bring it up to a more convenient size. It is now 20.5 x 24.5 inches.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455237[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pr1b.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	455235   Click image for larger version

Name:	pr1a.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	455236   Click image for larger version

Name:	or1.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	455237  
Old 01-06-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by bibliostone View Post
I finished my border pieces for the peacock block, but the poor peacock looks kind of overwhelmed. I think I might change to the other peacock block I got from rfbrazell because it just looks more "solid" in the middle. I have not sewn the border on yet. Feel free to comment on which peacock looks best. The other will probably be used in a pillow.

Original peacock center:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455235[/ATTACH]

2nd peacock center:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455236[/ATTACH]

The stamp panel only got a red border on it to bring it up to a more convenient size. It is now 20.5 x 24.5 inches.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455237[/ATTACH]
I like the second peacock better because the gold brings out the head area. Both are lovely, but the border does over whelm the 1st. Really like your ribbon. Red border also looks good.

Everyone's medallions are looking good. Still working on my center. Made my 1st round today to add as soon as the center is finished. Had to let my finger rest from the applique'.