Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
January Batik Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign-ups closed >

January Batik Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign-ups closed

January Batik Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign-ups closed

Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 PM

That's what I did, but when I clicked the upload it does nothing so I couldn't do anything wouldn't come in block that you type in to even click post. Will try again tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 PM

just tried again and still nothing. When I click upload it does nothing and black screen behind upload box. Don't know if it is site or because I now have windows 8 on my computer. Pictures used to work before for me on this site. Don't know what else to do. Guess everyone will be surprised when they get their sets unless I can figure something else out to post pictures.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 PM

just tried again and still nothing. When I click upload it does nothing and keeps the upload box there and screen is totally blank behind it. Don't know if it is something with site or because I have Windows 8. That shouldn't matter though. I used to be able to post pictures on this site before I got Windows 8. Any other suggestions otherwise my sets will be a surprise unless I can figure out a new way to post my pictures.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 PM

I have Windows 8 too...
Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 AM

Thanks, givio and jaba. I cut out more blocks last night and will try more tonight. Yesterday was just one of those off days for me. I knocked over my christmas cactus and broke the pot and the blooms off, melted my spaghetti stirring stick thingie on my stove and then made this nutty block. Everything I touched turned to crap. Today will be a much better day!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 AM

TLynn, I've never done these blocks yet and thought I would try before I swapped. Okay so the middle is not perfect, It's not that noticeable. I'm going to try some today myself before I join. (pssst they told me there was not police here,)
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM

Okay, I tried one block, never did these before, I cut accurate 5 inch squares. Made sure my seam allowance was 1/4. But my block is not 8.5. It's more like 8.25. What did I do wrong? Someone help. [ATTACH=CONFIG]455308[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Imported Photos 00011.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	455308  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie View Post
Okay, I tried one block, never did these before, I cut accurate 5 inch squares. Made sure my seam allowance was 1/4. But my block is not 8.5. It's more like 8.25. What did I do wrong? Someone help. [ATTACH=CONFIG]455308[/ATTACH]
It could be in how you are pressing your seams, I know when I lose that 1/4 inch that is where my problems were or if the fabric is not pre-washed it could be shrinkage if you are using steam when pressing.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM

The only thing I can see is at the top where your black square is, you didn't ease the batik long enough to match the end even and then the same thing on the bottom left where the batik square is your middle strip doesn't come out even. That's your 1/8" your missing. When I cut my 5" squares I don't put the ruler right exactly on the fabric so the fabric is under the 5" line. I put that 5" line so I can see the edge of the fabric barely. Don't know if that makes sense, kind of like sewing a scant 1/4", I'm cutting a scant over the 5" square. I don't use the lines on my cutting mat either, I use the ruler to measure. If you are going by your mat and cutting every 5" with every cut it's going to get a tad smaller because of the cutting line.
I know you have to upload differently with Win8, can't help you there! I've been waiting for the next Windows to see if it's better before I buy a new one. Tried the Win8 and hated it..
Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Jaba and Createfourpaws, I did 2 more, moving my needle over each time. Finally on the 3rd one, I can get a 8.5 block., My next issue is I don't have a square big enough to square it off. Do you think anyone would mind if I don't square them off. I know I'm not going to get a good square using a 6inch wide ruler and my biggest square is 6.5. I would love to do two sets, but I want to check to see if it's okay not to square them off first.