Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Preferences >

Fabric Preferences

Fabric Preferences

Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 PM

I learned to quilt on my own. The first quilt I made was a Trip Around the World quilt. I found out the colors the couple were going to have in their bedroom. I selected a paisley and went from there, selecting other colors that went with the paisley and the colors the couple wanted. But I usually go with a focal fabric and choose fabrics from that. I do not try to stay within a fabric line. That is generally too restive.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM

I agree with madamkelly, I do have some name brand fabric but mostly I just See, Like, Buy & Stash until needed.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 PM

I'm a newbie, but so far I just choose a focal fabric and then find fabrics I like to go with it. The precuts are usually more expensive than I want to pay, but the ones I have bought were not cut well and caused more work than if I had cut it myself so I didn't save any time. But I am glad there are precuts and fabric lines for quilters who want them. I've enjoyed seeing all the replies and ideas given to answer the original question.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:19 PM

I believe in mix and match!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 PM

i feel like the whole "buy the line" is great for the mills and distributors because one is inclined to buy more fabric from the same source. the idea that a quilter SHOULD have ALL the fabrics has been a tremendously successful marketing tool. it does make it easy for quilters to ensure their fabrics coordinate, but sometimes the quilts look just too coordinated...too off the shelf or ready made for my taste.

for myself i love to play with colour and texture. i buy for one project at a time and very seldom submit to the impulse to just buy 1/2/3 meters of what i like for no reason aside from the desire to have it. the few times i have done that can be found in the quilting cupboard, sitting awkwardly with the slow accumulation of scrap bits from completed projects, lonely and sadly unused.

the whole blog universe mostly irritates me. but that is another post altogether (i should blog it. but no. ha!!)

aileen